Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3.5 yr old wanting to start nursing again....

Question 3.5 yr old wanting to start nursing again....

So, my 3.5 yr old daughter weaned at 2.5 years of age, just before our latest baby was born. She weaned with little trouble but now a year later, keeps asking to nurse. Should I let her, I am nursing a 11 month old baby boy now. She has showed no interest until the last few evenings.

Default Re: 3.5 yr old wanting to start nursing again....

I think I would. I have known several children who weaned and then later wanted to try it again. Of the ones whose mothers let them try, none of them went on to actually resume nursing. Some of them just wanted permission to do so, and when it came down to it, didn't actually want to latch on. Others tried to latch on, or did latch on, but ended up not nursing. I think that mostly they want to know that they still have access. How do YOU feel about it?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I think I am ok with it, I let her try and she did latch on, she smiled and said I had candy in my boobies lol I stopped her cause I didn't want her older sisters (ages 5 &10) or daddy to see (not sure what they would think, I was kinda embarrassed, they would get used to it I am sure but I didn't know what to do) she searched around trying to get at them for quite a few minutes to nurse more.

This last week has been a little strange for her, she NEVER took a nook but has been wanting her little brothers, I found her cuddled up in her bed the other night sucking on it. She recently potty trained too.

Since she stopped nursing a year ago, we can't get her to drink any kind of "milk" cows - chocolate, regular or strawberry, hemp, rice, soy, almond - you name it...I don't know that its too big of a deal but I know she must not like the taste!

I would say yes too. My dd asked a few times after she weaned when the new baby came and after I told her yes and lifted my shirt, she just giggled and then ran away!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Ok

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*clothdiaperstogo View Post
    I think I am ok with it, I let her try and she did latch on, she smiled and said I had candy in my boobies lol I stopped her cause I didn't want her older sisters (ages 5 &10) or daddy to see (not sure what they would think, I was kinda embarrassed, they would get used to it I am sure but I didn't know what to do) she searched around trying to get at them for quite a few minutes to nurse more.
    Candy in your boobies.

I think my only concern would be to make sure exactly what you are comfortable with, so that she doesn't internalize any embarrassment or shame.

Teal

Good advice, I would be fine with night time, out in public would be really weird for me since shes so big lol If it was just at night, it would be a special time between her & I. I bet with 3 siblings she may be reaching out for that comfort of one on one time and shes a big cuddler.

It sounds like you're pretty clear in your heart. I say, trust yourself. Congratulations on your sweet big family. What a blessing!
    Teal

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    It sounds like you're pretty clear in your heart. I say, trust yourself. Congratulations on your sweet big family. What a blessing!
    Thank you!