Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When To Start Pumping?

Default When To Start Pumping?

At what point did you start pumping in order to build up a stash?

Last time, I was in the NICU with DD1 and my milk didn't come in for 4 days. So I was pumping to stimulate and to supplement the formula they were feeding her. We went on to EBF for 17 months.

This time, my colostrum came in within 48 hours and my supply has now settled (was quite engorged / leaky for the first week). We're doing well.

If I start pumping now, will it influence my supply (i.e. I'm not looking to increase, just maintain)? We're only 11 days in - should I wait longer?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: When To Start Pumping?

If I were you I would wait a little longer.

Are you planning on going back to work? I'm a little confused. I thought I had to have a stash of milk to return to work and I ended up throwing out 200 ounces of milk and donating many more ounces. If you are returning to work all you really need is enough to get through the first day and then you pump that day for the next day and so on. I got extra milk everyday and froze it to get all the extra milk.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

No, I have a year off. However, I like having a stash for the days that DH / family needs to take care of DD2. I don't like not having a back up, just in case.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    No, I have a year off. However, I like having a stash for the days that DH / family needs to take care of DD2. I don't like not having a back up, just in case.
    In that case, if you are ever engorged, you can hand express a little or pump a little for comfort and save what you get. Or pump a **little** in the morning. Like part of an ounce and save all that you get. That way you are not going to wind up with over supply. I would only do that until you get a few ounces. In case you have to be away unexpectedly. If you will have to be away and you know in advance, you can plan for that ahead of time and pump leading up to the day and also pump while you are away to replace what you have used up. I still don't think it will be completely necessary. Just do it a little at at time so you don't over produce.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    How awesome to have a whole year off!!!

Anyway, if I were you, I'd wait... after I had Mason, I waited until he was 6 weeks old before I started pumping and teaching him how to take a bottle. At that point my supply was nicely evened out, so I just pumped once per day, after his morning feeding, usually around 8am-ish when my supply seemed to be the highest. And then I would keep 1 ounce of it in the frig (to practice giving him a bottle later in the day) and freeze the rest for my stash. I went back to work when he was 10 weeks old, and by doing what I described to you I had somewhere around 100 ounces in the freezer. HTH
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I just have to say that I feel for you American Momma's out there who don't get maternity leave. Here in Canada, we get to take a year off via our Employment Insurance program. It's not like it's free, we pay into it while we're working. But I cannot imagine the hardship of going back to work early or trying to financially work it out in order to stay off for a year. I wish you all had the same support.
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and

AMYSMOM-- we "financially work it out to stay home for 6-8 wks average. It's really unheard of to stay home a year on "maternity" leave if any of us Am Moms do it's more thN likely that we quit and will return to the workforce later. Family Medical Leave Act states we gave mandatory 6-8 wks off without pay and a guarantee of our exact position when we return. If there's a medical condition that prevents this return then paperwork signed by Dr is required and "a position" with same pay but no guarantee of our same one back. If were paid while on leave it's usually a situation of unused accumulated sick days once they're gone there's usually no pay.

I had 35 days accumulated sick days so I'm returning @7wks post partum. (paycheck uninterrupted) I also had long term disability INS which pays me 65% of my monthly income while on leave....so that's extra $$ in my pocket. I use that to pay hospital bill and dr bills. Not everyone has this insurance or accumulated sick days. They're the really unlucky ones. ;(
    Mom to Savannah (2yrs old--BF till 12mo)
    MOM to TREY (19 yrs) didn't breastfeed

Due AUG 2010 with 3rd child
    Plan to at work and at home.

I'd wait too, pumping is alot of work. there is cleaning the pump and then cleaning the bottles ect..baby is much beter at removing milk then the pump.
    maybe start with hand expressing a few times a week just for a bottle or two.

I found that the more kids you have the more trouble it is to get out the door its easier to just stay home.

I agree with waiting a bit. Unless you start to notice your supply decreasing, you should totally go exclusive breastfeeding as long as you can. It's better for bonding with your little one, and like someone mentioned before, there's little to no clean up involved in breastfeeding.

It is nice however to have those backups in the freezer ready and waiting.