Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Top teeth coming in

Default Top teeth coming in

Ia m nursing my daughter who is 17 months. Her top teeth are just coming in now and it is posing a real challenge. I would like to keep nursing her. I would like to hear how tohers have made it through teething.

Default Re: Top teeth coming in

Moving this post out so it doesn't get lost in the other thread. Welcome!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

What is most difficult about nursing her with her teeth coming in?

I know what you mean My DD is almost 15 months old and has been teething back-to-back, 2 at a time, ever since she turned 1 It IS uncomfortable, because it feels like her latch isn't the same. I just told DH today that my nipples are killing me! They feel like the first few days of bfing and I'm certain I'm not pg
    She has 4 on top that came in, that caused her a lot of discomfort, and I think her molars are making their way. I just ordered DD the amber teething bracelets. Hopefully she'll get some relief and not want to nurse for comfort as much
    Hang in there mama
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

My DS is almost one year old and he has 6 teeth, four top front ones and two front bottom ones. So far I don't have any problems with his teeth and him nursing (...so far! ) I think you should be fine!
    very proud mommy to alexander
    7.5 lbs at birth and growing like crazy
    breastfed for 18 months
    .....now expecting number two! it's a surprise, due June 11, 2012
    i love my little family

My little guy just got his top four a few weeks ago and it was really hard on him. I generally only give him a paci at night, just because he doesn't really seem to need it and i'd rather nurse when i'm with him. When he was teething, he had it or something in his mouth ALL THE TIME.

We also have a little mesh bag with a handle on top that you can snap an ice cube into. he LOVES this, more so when he's teething.

I actually haven't noticed a big change in nursing. He bit me once in the bath and looked up at me and smiled. I said "ouch" and he cried hysterically and has never done it again. It was heartbreaking ;(

I do wonder though if it's even harder for older babies/toddlers who get teeth later? Just because I would think they'd be more aware of pain etc. Mine is only 7.5 months - it also amazes me the huge range that LOs get teeth!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it