Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: galactogogue weaning ?

Default galactogogue weaning ?

Was just reading something on Dr Sears website that was talking about how galactogogues *can* be a placebo effect, and that when we take them, they *may* be working because we think they will work? I'm not buying a trip on that crazy train, but I am wondering - as my journey as a breastfeeding Mama, what happens if I were to wean myself from the galactogogues I currently take? At 20 months nursing, would I experience a decrease in production, even if my girl is nursing strong? I'd secretly love to not take fenugreek and lactate support 3 times a day, and pay the $80/month to do so.
    Thoughts? Has anyone experienced this?

Neither my daughter or myself wish to slow nursing. I rather love it!
    I'm Adrienne, Mama to Marin Mae
    born 12.18.2008
    5 lbs
    proudly nursed until 36 months when she self weaned.

and Declan Kai
    born 09.13.2011
    4lbs 11oz

proudly and !

bloggy.

Default Re: galactogogue weaning ?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    At 20 months I would think it a good time to wean off supplements. Perhaps starting slowly and eliminating at a slower rate would be helpful. You could try eating a daily bowl of oatmeal to keep you boosted. If your supply completely tanked, you could always reintroduce.

Bear in mind that toddler nursing is different than infant nursing. Often it feels like there is not milk and there aren't always frequent let downs in between nursing, but once LO starts to nurse the milk let's down and is there.

And FWIW, $80/month is definitely too much to pay! If you decide to continue taking fenugreek, I would look into buying the bulk seed. It's much cheaper and generally much fresher, too. You can get it online (here's one source) or at Indian grocery stores (look for "methi") and Middle Eastern grocery stores (look for "hilbeh").
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

wean off it gradually is the only advice I can give.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I'm just about weaned off of domperidone at this point, and didn't notice a decrease. The pumping sessions at work still put out the same per session as last year when he was 2 months old.

I'd give the weaning off a try. Just make sure you drink plenty of fluids.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around