Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Moms-unable to maintain milk supply nursing 2-3 times per day?

Default Moms-unable to maintain milk supply nursing 2-3 times per day?

I dropped down to just one pump session a day about two weeks ago. Since then, I've noticed I've had slow let downs at night. Two nights ago, I didn't let down at all and dd (14.5 months) was pretty unhappy.

I am worried that my supply is diminishing to the point where I won't be able to continue nursing. Any other moms have problems maintaining a supply on just 2-3 nursing sessions per day?

I planned to nurse until Maya was 2. She is no longer interested in day feedings (except just before her nap on weekends). So the only way to build my supply again would be to pump. But I don't want to so this. Once a day is all I can manage at work (hard to explain once a day to my co-workers!).

Also-is it possible to let down and not know it? Silly question from someone who has been nursing this long, but I've always had a v. forceful let down.

Default Re: Moms-unable to maintain milk supply nursing 2-3 times per day?

Here’s my experience and a couple of suggestions:
    I pump once per day, although I admit some days I skip it if I’m really busy. We have lots of extra EBM but I try to pump to keep supply up, like you.
    However, my DD usually BFs 4-5 times each “day” (between the hours of 5:30 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.), and a lot on the weekends, so I’m getting more stimulation that way.
    Even so, it would seem that after all this time you should be able to keep a supply going. It is true that you can still be producing and not feel very “full” and that you can let down without feeling it much. So those factors aren’t necessarily indicators that you aren’t producing enough.
    Have you tried any other measures, other than pumping more, to increase supply? Two ideas that come to mind are getting enough rest and fluids, and offering both breasts at each feeding.
    HTH!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I'm dealing with the same thing and I can't pump, I don't get anything. I do try just for the stimulation but it's AGRAVATING. Anyway, I here lately sometimes can not feel my let down either and I too have always had a strong letdown. I don't know why I can't feel it at times and why I can at other times. I look forward to hearing from others. I also wanted to say that my dd only nurses about four or five times a day starting at about 5:30am and ending about 9:00pm I hope that we can keep up the supply I too wanted to go until she turns 2. Shew, this stuff can be trying at times can't it.

good news: milk supply increases/decreases with demand
    bad news: can sometimes take upto 48 hours to "get-it-going" be patient and try to pump/nurse at the same times everday, milk supply will fall in line.
    you can try "mothers milk" tea (this was great for me) or fenugreek for heavy let down. this does not work on all and be careful before you use these things. best of luck!