Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: La Leche League's position on...

Default La Leche League's position on...

I realized that I spend a lot of time pointing out what LLL doesn't take a position on (vaccines, diapers, education, etc), but I'm not sure there's anywhere on the board that lists the things LLL does have a position on.

So here is LLL's core philosophy:

• Mothering through breastfeeding is the most natural and effective way of understanding and satisfying the needs of the baby.
    • Mother and baby need to be together early and often to establish a satisfying relationship and an adequate milk supply.
    • In the early years the baby has an intense need to be with his mother which is as basic as his need for food.
    • Breast milk is the superior infant food.
    • For the healthy, full-term baby, breast milk is the only food necessary until the baby shows signs of needing solids, about the middle of the first year after birth.
    • Ideally the breastfeeding relationship will continue until the baby outgrows the need.
    • Alert and active participation by the mother in childbirth is a help in getting breastfeeding off to a good start.
    • Breastfeeding is enhanced and the nursing couple sustained by the loving support, help, and companionship of the baby's father. A father's unique relationship with his baby is an important element in the child's development from early infancy.
    • Good nutrition means eating a well-balanced and varied diet of foods in as close to their natural state as possible.
    • From infancy on, children need loving guidance which reflects acceptance of their capabilities and sensitivity to their feelings.

Please note that these are ideals that may be applied different ways in different circumstances and may not be applicable in others. None of them is a hard and fast statement about what you should do in your family. You're the expert on your baby and LLL is here to support in your breastfeeding goals, whatever they may be.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: La Leche League's position on...

The only one i'm surprised by is the

"Breastfeeding is enhanced and the nursing couple sustained by the loving support, help, and companionship of the baby's father. A father's unique relationship with his baby is an important element in the child's development from early infancy."

Most of the guidelines seem fairly non judgmental, and I'm just kind of disappointed to see the gender specificity here to the exclusion of two mama families (or other gender combos)

It is good to see general LLL positions on things. Thank you for sharing.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

And this is why I LLL!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    The only one i'm surprised by is the

"Breastfeeding is enhanced and the nursing couple sustained by the loving support, help, and companionship of the baby's father. A father's unique relationship with his baby is an important element in the child's development from early infancy."

Most of the guidelines seem fairly non judgmental, and I'm just kind of disappointed to see the gender specificity here to the exclusion of two mama families (or other gender combos)

It is good to see general LLL positions on things. Thank you for sharing.
    Like I said, is some cases certain items may not be applicable. These concepts have been around a long time! I'm sure even different Leaders have different interpretations, but I know in my group we've discussed this concept with applicants in terms of co-parents or other important people in the baby's life.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I have been involved w/ La Leche League since 1987. I remember when we discussed League philosophy and although families change, and parenting styles change the needs of an infant remain the same across cultures and across countries. When LLL formalized this philosophy the only way to create an infant took a flesh and blood father having intercourse with a flesh and blood mother. And at that time the culture was beginning to experiment with the old rules of what is a marriage and do children need married parents. What if the marriage isn't fulfilling, what if the mom or dad want to explore the other lives they could have had. La Leche League founders responded to changing cultural shifts by emphasizing the love and commitment both parents needed to have to each other and to the baby as the optimal way to raise a child.
    Marriage afforded a woman economic stability, marriage afforded a man sexual fidelity. Marriage afforded a child a stable home. Although the League Philosophy as stated might appear archaic and as a relic of a bygone era, we can still cling to it if we so choose. Take the parts that will work for you and leave the others behind. La Leche League is not a religion and no one needs to swear loyalty to the philosophy.

Just curious, does LLL have any position/opinion on HOW a mom gives birth, that is, does LLL encourage moms to have a vaginal birth? I was just thinking that breastfeeding typically gets off to a better start after a vaginal birth vs. a c-section. That is certainly not always the case, of course, but this is just something I was wondering.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

La Leche League encourages active and alert participation of the mother in the birthing process. Remember, there was a time when doctors routinely knocked a mother out, suctioned or forcept her baby out, gave epsiotomies from the vagina to the anus and let the mothers see their babies only after 24 hours of separation. obviously breastfeeding under those conditions was difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    Just curious, does LLL have any position/opinion on HOW a mom gives birth, that is, does LLL encourage moms to have a vaginal birth? I was just thinking that breastfeeding typically gets off to a better start after a vaginal birth vs. a c-section. That is certainly not always the case, of course, but this is just something I was wondering.
    Whether a birth should be vaginal or c-section is a decision that needs to be made on an individual basis between a mother and her doctor or midwife, so LLL really can't make any sweeping statements about what should be done. But basically just what the concept statement says -- the more alert and active the mother can be in the birth (and the sooner afterward that the baby can be put to the breast), the easier breastfeeding is likely to be.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    Like I said, is some cases certain items may not be applicable. These concepts have been around a long time! I'm sure even different Leaders have different interpretations, but I know in my group we've discussed this concept with applicants in terms of co-parents or other important people in the baby's life.
    As somebody in a two mama family, I can say that the statement didn't really bother me. I get that the general idea is a loving and supportive network - regardless as to how that network is structured. I think those of us actually in same-sex relationships are used to seeing gender statments of this nature. That being said, I took the last line that not all of this applies to all circumstances to cover the idea that it may be two women in the role of parent or one mom/a grandma or one mom, etc.

Regardless, I've found LLL to be very welcoming and affirming.

STILL, I applaud those wonderful GLBT allies for recognizing that there's still room for progress to be made with our language.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!