I realized that I spend a lot of time pointing out what LLL doesn't take a position on (vaccines, diapers, education, etc), but I'm not sure there's anywhere on the board that lists the things LLL does have a position on.
So here is LLL's core philosophy:
- Mothering through breastfeeding is the most natural and effective way of understanding and satisfying the needs of the baby.
- Mother and baby need to be together early and often to establish a satisfying relationship and an adequate milk supply.
- In the early years the baby has an intense need to be with his mother which is as basic as his need for food.
- Breast milk is the superior infant food.
- For the healthy, full-term baby, breast milk is the only food necessary until the baby shows signs of needing solids, about the middle of the first year after birth.
- Ideally the breastfeeding relationship will continue until the baby outgrows the need.
- Alert and active participation by the mother in childbirth is a help in getting breastfeeding off to a good start.
- Breastfeeding is enhanced and the nursing couple sustained by the loving support, help, and companionship of the baby's father. A father's unique relationship with his baby is an important element in the child's development from early infancy.
- Good nutrition means eating a well-balanced and varied diet of foods in as close to their natural state as possible.
- From infancy on, children need loving guidance which reflects acceptance of their capabilities and sensitivity to their feelings.
Please note that these are ideals that may be applied different ways in different circumstances and may not be applicable in others. None of them is a hard and fast statement about what you should do in your family. You're the expert on your baby and LLL is here to support in your breastfeeding goals, whatever they may be.