Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Howbadly can citrus affect 14 month old's stomach?

Default Howbadly can citrus affect 14 month old's stomach?

I'm still breastfeeding my daughter about three times a day - early morning, mid-day, and bedtime. Saturday we were at a fair and they were out of bottled water so I resorted to drinking some lemonade. This was the first time I have had any citrus drinks since breastfeeding. Sunday morning my daughter had a belly ache and had diarrhea. Yesterday she had diarrhea again and today she has it again. Can this be from the lemonade? I had more than one glass since it was so hot and it was fresh squeezed lemonade. I've been very careful about what I eat and drink, but for some reason I didn't think about this. I'm wondering if it is a virus or if it could be in connection to the acid from the drink. Has anyone had a similar experience with citrus while breastfeeding?

Default Re: Howbadly can citrus affect 14 month old's stomach?

At 14 months, nursing only 3 times a day, and (I assume) eating solid food on her own, I would be a little surprised if something you drank had that significant an effect on her. Has she had citrus before? Do you have other reasons to think she might have trouble with citrus?

A mild stomach bug is certainly a possibility, especially if you were out a place with lots of people. It could just be a coincidence.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I would think it's more likely a tummy bug, there have been a lot of illnesses going around lately.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Is there a reason you were avoiding citrus to begin with? If not, I would think it very unlikely it caused the upset tummy. Are there other foods she is sensitive to?

I know with my 10MO, I gave her watermelon earlier than suggested and she ended up getting a bad diaper rash from the citrus but nothing else.

HTH!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I would think a diaper rash would be the only thing that would show with citrus and not with the small amount that you are nursing. Most likely a tummy bug.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

My dd#2 was citrus sensitive. Very. Until she weaned, I couldn't have anything citrus at all. She always had a rash in addition to upset tummy and diarreah.

I'm leaning towards tummy bug....
    I'm Jerrie Ann....married to Rod (my wonderful Air Force man), and mother to Nora (Dec 30, 1994), Natasha (Feb 11, 1999), and Jack (Jan 12, 2009)....I'm the owner of Jack's Magic Milk Bags!!!