1 2.13%
  • wait til they are ready

39 82.98%
  • slowly

7 14.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when is he too old to nurse?

Unhappy when is he too old to nurse?

My son is 3yrs. 3 mos. and very addicted to nursing. I know I should wean him, but I always believed in letting the child decide when they no longer needed to nurse. This approach worked with my daughter, who gave it up at 2yrs. 8mos.
    While I am in no rush to give up the closness we share morning and night, as I know he is my last, I am concerned about him starting school in the fall. Part of me knows he has to stop soon.
    What I need to know from anyone who might have nursed this long, is will he give it up on his own? or does he need help to give it up? I am having a hard time telling him that what has been a comfort for his whole life is now wrong.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, P

Default Re: when is he too old to nurse?

Did you know that the worldwide average age of weaning is just over 4 years of age? So, you are certainly not weird, on a global scale. Here are some links on weaning that may help you:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/weanhowto.html
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T026400.asp
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/index.html

Why is his starting school an concern? You wouln't have to nurse him at shcool. How often is he nursing now?

If you feel that you are ready to wean, then that is also totally fine to start nudgeing him in the weaning direction.

You have given him a wonderful gift; no reason to stop giving that now unless you yourself want to.

I pick add my own option: When you both are ready!

Wow, that is a loaded question! LOL Ask a hundred people and you'll get a hundred answers

This is a very sensitive topic and I think that it's appropriate to acknowledge the LLL philosophy on this one which is "ideally, the breastfeeding relationship will continue until the baby outgrows the need."

There are stories of kindergarteners going home during recess to nurse :-) When they are that old, most (not all!) only nurse to sleep at night and maybe in the AM. So school isn't a time of need for nursing, so there is no need to worry about that.

I say when you're both ready.

Just been there done that with my preschooler I voted to let her go to school actually her teacher had no problem with it and its not like she was nursing at school just morning and night. I vote to just go with the flow as he moves closer to 4 maybe 5 he will then lose interest and as soon as he starts school they get interest in a million things they never knew about like cartoons, or a cool toy and then their minds start to imagine and well it dwindles off. Good Luck to you and the fall is still a whole summer away so you got loads of nursing before school starts.

Smile Re: when is he too old to nurse?

Thank you all for your thoughts. He IS only nursing at night and early in the morning. My only concern with him starting school is that it may be a topic of conversation for him with his little friends. With my luck,(and I know all you long term nursers have gotten "those " opinions) some teacher or parent will call social services. Some poeple have actually told me I'm scaring him emotionally for life! You gotta love the small town mentality! All your letters have made me feel much better because right now I still enjoy that time with my little guy!

Thank you
    P

I think Kathleen Dettwyler anthropologist has a page on extended nursing and social services. I understand the fear and have felt the same but they do not have a case to remove your child or report you for breastfeeding.
    My child is so busy playing I don't think nursing ever comes up with her friends. We live in a small town too and I don't know anyone else here that nurses as long as I do. Most people think it is cool or they don't say anything to me. A few have confided they are nursing their babies past a year and that is fantastic. I hope I have been a source of inspiration for them.
    I don't see any reason to tell the teacher if you don't want to. Here are some good links you can print and share if you like.

www.kathydettwyler.org/dettwyler.html

http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...ter-three.html

momuvseven

Chances are small that he will discuss nursing any more than he'd discuss all the other normal activities that happen at home. It's a regular, normal thing for him so he likely wouldn't think it would be of interest to his peers. If it does come up, chances are also small that another child will know what he's talking about!
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids