Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One down, one to go...

Default One down, one to go...

I had told Emma a while back that we would go stay at the Great Wolf Lodge (indoor water park) when she's done nursing. She said she'd be done when she was 5 yrs old. I couldn't hold out for that long and it was like a tug of war within me of wanting her to self-wean but also knowing it wouldn't be anytime soon. Well, on our way home from vacation, we were going to be spending a little time in Ohio and there's a Great Wolf Lodge there. I made the reservation and then a few hours later remembered what I said. So I told her that morning we were going to the Great Wolf Lodge that night and she was super excited. I told her that meant we would nurse during that day and then once we were there, it meant no more nursing, but we could cuddle, that I would still hold her, rock her, she could still feel my skin (likes to press her face against my chest, because she says my skin is soft and warm.) She was good with it - I let her nurse as long as she wanted, which ended up being really quick. Then she asked if she could nurse at the same time as Owen once more, so they both nursed and smiled at each other and gently patted each other's faces and then she stopped. She gave me a big hug and said "thanks, mom, for letting me nurse for so long; you're the best mom in the whole wide world." I told her I loved her so much and loved nursing her. And then she was off to jump from the hotel bed to the chair, making me watch her every move as she was jumping soooo far! She's been fine since - she'll sort of jokingly ask to nurse and then say something else before I even say anything.

In a way, it's embarassing that I totally bribed her with the whole water park thing, but I've been wanting to be done for over a year and I was done trying to hang in there. I feel like it was ok for her, because she didn't cry/get emotional about it, and if it wasn't ok, she would have. We had a good run, she and I - hard to believe it's been 3 years and 8 months.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Default Re: One down, one to go...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Oh that's so sweet.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post
    I had told Emma a while back that we would go stay at the Great Wolf Lodge (indoor water park) when she's done nursing. She said she'd be done when she was 5 yrs old. I couldn't hold out for that long and it was like a tug of war within me of wanting her to self-wean but also knowing it wouldn't be anytime soon. Well, on our way home from vacation, we were going to be spending a little time in Ohio and there's a Great Wolf Lodge there. I made the reservation and then a few hours later remembered what I said. So I told her that morning we were going to the Great Wolf Lodge that night and she was super excited. I told her that meant we would nurse during that day and then once we were there, it meant no more nursing, but we could cuddle, that I would still hold her, rock her, she could still feel my skin (likes to press her face against my chest, because she says my skin is soft and warm.) She was good with it - I let her nurse as long as she wanted, which ended up being really quick. Then she asked if she could nurse at the same time as Owen once more, so they both nursed and smiled at each other and gently patted each other's faces and then she stopped. She gave me a big hug and said "thanks, mom, for letting me nurse for so long; you're the best mom in the whole wide world." I told her I loved her so much and loved nursing her. And then she was off to jump from the hotel bed to the chair, making me watch her every move as she was jumping soooo far! She's been fine since - she'll sort of jokingly ask to nurse and then say something else before I even say anything.

In a way, it's embarassing that I totally bribed her with the whole water park thing, but I've been wanting to be done for over a year and I was done trying to hang in there. I feel like it was ok for her, because she didn't cry/get emotional about it, and if it wasn't ok, she would have. We had a good run, she and I - hard to believe it's been 3 years and 8 months.
    I don't know if i have ever read anything sweeter

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    I don't know if i have ever read anything sweeter
    I am almost in tears frome the same sentence you highlighted. What a memory to hold on to!
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

What a wonderful story!. That is just adorable! TFS
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

great story..

Like shannon quoted, that is something so amazing. Congratulations on making it so long.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Awww... what a sweet little girl you have there. You should be proud of yourself.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*twokmommy View Post
    I am almost in tears frome the same sentence you highlighted. What a memory to hold on to!
    So sweet! And she's such a lucky girl to have such a wonderful mommy.

I hope you guys had fun at the waterpark!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

That was very sweet!!!
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones