Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night weaning?

Question Night weaning?

My DD still quite frequently nurses at night... and I would love to actually have a good night sleep for once.. so I was wondering about night weaning? She gets more then enough in her awake hours, it's just more for comfort. SHe sleeps with us and to get to sleep she has to nursed or be rocked to sleep(she's only fallen asleep on her own once!). She's such a light sleeper too o I just don't know how to go about weaning her at night. I have no intention of weaning her during the day till she's ready, but I would really like my nights back!
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

Default Re: Night weaning?

A lot of moms here have used the Dr. Jay Gordon method to nightwean older babies.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks! i'll give it a shot
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!

It worked for me when Nora was about 19 mos. I was pretty flexible with the time frame though. It took me a couple months to work all the way through. We stayed on the nursing until she is almost back to sleep stage for a while.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

How's it going?

In a sense I am ending up doing the Gordon method of nightweaning... it seems like Lilah needs to be latched on for HOURS or she can't fall asleep. I can't take it anymore due to the pregnancy, so I'm actually limiting the length of time she nurses... basically for as long as I can take it, but she pretty much doesn't fall asleep nursing anymore. It seems like it has reduced the number of night wakings for us, but I'm not sure. Over labor day weekend I will not nurse her when she wakes up anymore in the middle of the night. I'm nervous that it will be hard, but I will have four days off in a row and can sleep during the day if need be.

I hope things are going well for you
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

No luck... Peyton is waking up frequently... I can get her back to sleep by patting her back but she's up 10 mins later so half way through the night I get so tired and just latch her on so I can get some sleep.. I may have to shelve this for a few months and try again... it's really tiring!

Could your DH help put her back to sleep?
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

My SO has only woken up once in the middle of the night since she's been born... He's a very very very heavy sleeper... next to impossible to wake him.. to bad DD wasn't like this

When I night-weaned my first, there were three nights of her CONSTANTLY moving around, sitting up, crawling off the bed (luckily we only have a mattress and boxspring), all completely asleep. She didn't even wake up when she fell out of bed. It wasn't crying, it was just this constant half awakeness. But, after a few days she would sleep normally, and through the night.

I was SO ready to night wean her though. My 11MO's night wakings are not bothering me as much as my firsts. I think she must sleep for longer stretches. I will just hold off on nightweaning her until I am sick and tired of the night-wakings.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

thats what peyton does... constantly moving, crawling, sitting up, standing up, looking for boob. It's just so hard on me cause my SO is such a heavy sleeper and doesn't wake up to help out ( i've tried everything to get him up) and I've been doing the nights for so long by myself that It's really starting to catch up to me now that I started working again... maybe I'll try again on the weekend and hope that goes well.. that way I can at least nap during the day!