Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Homo milk vs. whole milk

Default Homo milk vs. whole milk

Can someone explain the difference to me of Homo milk vs. whole milk?
    I heard some where that Whole milk is better for you cause of the less processing.

I don't like milk to just drink, I don't mind it in other things and like yogurt and cheese( DD gets yogurt and cheese) but my SO likes milk and during/after him drinking it DD is pawing him to get at it! SO he'll give her some and he thinks we should buy some for her for while i'm gone at work. SO i thought we'd try it... she only drinks maybe an oz the whole time i'm gone and the rest water so i don't see much harm in it. SHe opens the fridge and try's to get it herself. She normally refuses to drink anything but water while i'm gone( not even pumped breast milk) then of course I have to feed her immediately when I get home then she's happy! We get our milk from an Organic shop that gets local milk( in glass 1 L bottles!) THey have Homo, whole and goats milk... so not sure which one I should go with to let her have on occasion? any info anyone has on any of these would greatly help!
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

Default Re: Homo milk vs. whole milk

I didn't know there was a difference....our milk is homogonized whole milk...
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

Do you mean homogenized vs cream top?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

no idea I know that some homo milk is called homogenized whole milk.. but there's a whole other category that is just called whole milk(I think it another term for cream top). All the organic milk gets a layer of cream on the top that we get. and when I asked about it the kid had no idea what I was talking about... he was like there's a difference and I said well it's labelled different and cost more( about a $1) but he got confused cause both the homo and whole milk said 3.25%. and the info I found on line is confusing and is different on each source. I read some where that the whole milk is less processed and easy for them to digest cause the process of homoginizing it makes the particles smaller and gets in to the blood stream or something like that...basically i'm a big ball of confused and was hoping someone else had figured this out and can give me the run down. I also heard that goats milk is much better then Cows milk and easier to digest and what not but I've never had goats milk so was wondering if anyone knew about it as well?
    Last edited by @llli*manddbp; August 15th, 2010 at 12:30 PM.
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz