Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 35 weeks... and questions

Default 35 weeks... and questions

Today I am at 35 weeks, I have been on bedrest for 2 weeks.

I have a daughter who is 2 1/2 whom I breastfed for 14 months. She was a wonderful nurser. I never had any issues with her. She was bon 3 days late and weighed 9 pounds .25 ounce. Her first breastfeeding (before she was even cleaned up was 45 min long.) At 5 days old she was eating almost 3 ounces a feed.

I was put on bed rest because I was dilated to 1 cm and 80% effaced. I am fearful that I won't make it to 36 weeks...

I have my hospital bag packed, with my nursing pillow and breast pump.

I have been reading and women have recommended pumping to make your milk come in faster so that a premie wouldn't have to work so hard to get the milk?

Any recommendations?

Default Re: 35 weeks... and questions

I do not recommend pumping before the baby comes. It's possible that nipple stimulation could induce contractions. I would say be true to the bed rest. Seriously. Staying off your feet 80% of the time does not count. I am also at 35 weeks now and my first born was a 33 week preemie. I truly believe I have held this baby in this long because I have been so careful. Staying on bed rest when they told me, listening to my body and avoiding too much activity and sticking with the modified bed rest. It's not easy, but you can do this!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I agree with previous poster - I wouldn't pump before your baby is born. Once your baby is born you could see how things go. If he/she stays with you, you can nurse him/her - you could do some hand expression to get some milk flowing and on your nipple to entice him/her to latch. If he/she goes to an NICU/special care nursery and can't nurse for some time at first, then I'd recommend pumping and storing your milk for your baby.

Good luck!
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

a premie would need colostrum too! i wasnt dilated, but at 34 weeks was having very bad cramps and backpain....i was put on bedrest (as much as i could be with a 4 and 7 year old).....after about 5 days the cramps went away....hang in there!!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

with the PPs. If you're considering pumping before birth, don't! It's an excellent way to induce labor and it won't bring your milk in faster. (Milk production can only happen after the placenta is delivered. With the placenta in place, you won't be able to trigger milk production.)

If you're thinking about pumping after birth, then it definitely could be useful if your baby isn't nursing well. Premies, small babies, jaundiced babies, sleepy babies- sometimes they just aren't good enough at nursing to stimulate and maintain a good milk supply. If your baby isn't a good nurser, then I would first contact a lactation consultant and have her advise you on how and how much to pump.

But if your baby is a good nurser, and is having adequate diapers (The best way to judge supply is to watch diaper output: good output = good input.), then I would not pump. It's too easy to pump to much and end up with an oversupply of milk, which sounds great but isn't, because you can end up with overactive letdown and plugged ducts and mastitis.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"