Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Upper lip tie? What say you?

Default Re: Upper lip tie? What say you?

<sounds like a plan! good luck to us both!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*caymanali View Post
    So we go in wednesday to get the lip tie cut. Turns out my dentist has experience with it in infants, he is very gentle and quick so I think he is our best choice. Anyone gone through this? Do you have any tips for making this procedure and healing as easiest as possible? Also should I be concerned that the dentist won't be using a laser to make the cut?
    DD got her lip tie clipped when she was about 3 months, it was just done in the pedis office. Her's wasn't too bad though and she was very small. He just crushed it with a metal instrument while I held her, maybe one tiny drop of blood. She was very angry, but by the time we got out to the car she was asleep Totally fine after that! I wouldn't be concerned about the laser, it is newer, so I'm sure many dentists haven't upgraded yet. Clippings have been done for centuries without it

Mine had it done at 7 months, along with the frenulum. It was cosmetic for us and his two upper teeth had a huge gap that has now mostly closed at 17 months.

Did the dentist check the tongue? I wonder if your baby has a tongue tie that is hard to spot and might be worth a trip to the ENT. My second had posterior that was missed by everyone for a while.

When we had the lip done it did swell badly and required about 4 stitches. Healed fast though.

Oh and Laser is awesome but hard to find a doc that does it.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

We are back from the dentist! He has an upper lip tie, but not a tongue tie. He doesn't recommend snipping it. He says the literature doesn't support that - that it hasn't been proven to be a problem with breastfeeding. It could become an issue in future with teeth but he said they'd deal with it then and that it's easier to snip in an older child than a wiggly baby! He said if we wanted it cut that a pediatric EMT would probably do it.

I, of course, have been doing heaps of reading online and while there may not be literature saying it impacts breastfeeding at lot of people would say that's just because there hasn't been research into that area since breastfeeding research isn't a big area. The dentist says he sees people with lip tie a lot, even one a day, and that he's not known it to be a problem - but how many of these people were breastfed?

We do have a fair amount of symptoms that could be explained by tongue or lip tie, including the poor weight gain. But I don't have pain, and that's usually a big sign. And the symptoms we do have could be explained by other things. Or not. Who knows?! His upper lip doesn't flange out when nursing and when I do it it often goes back in or the latch breaks. He pops on and off the breast a lot, but I thought that was because of unhappiness with the flow of milk. Also *sometimes* his upper lip DOES flange out on his own, so maybe it's not that big of a problem?

I'm going to email Jack Newman (he has said he doesn't think upper lip flanging out is a big deal) and go see our pedi tomorrow. I want to check his weight now because if he is doing worse then I'm more inclined to do something. But my feeling is to leave it, I think. We are close to starting solids and there are risks, though small, to cutting. Maybe if we'd known what we know now months ago we would have done something, but at almost 5.5 months I wonder if it's worth it. Though I do really believe in breast milk being the main source of nutrition for the first year and letting the baby lead on solids, so if fixing his lip would increase his weight gain and mean we don't need to be so paranoid about solids then that would be a good thing too! Oh I dunno. Bah!

So confused.

How did your appointment go?

So we just got back as well too and guess what my dentist days LOs upper lip and palate are FINE. He says that frenulum has a normal presentation and that she is AOK. She is gaining well, 17.5 lbs at 4.5 months and truthfully my nipples are in good shape at the moment. I think maybe I just got some bad latches last week. I have had some very mild discomfort and he said that I may have to adjust my positions now that LO is bigger.

The clicking only started for me about 2-3 weeks or so ago, so maybe positions are my issue? LO has been gaining and growing well since the start. The clicking maybe happens 2-4 times (and often not at all) a nursing session so is it something to worry about? The dentist also said that this change of latch could be due to her gums beginning to harden as the teeth come in.

I wonder if we are all getting worried about this lip tie thing for nothing? Can anyone post up what a "normal" frenulum of the upper lip looks like in an infant?
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

Interesting! Our photos look similar yet my dentist was very clear it's a tie - just doesn't think it's an issue and that it's fairly common. Maybe your dentist says it's normal because he sees it fairly often?

On this page there are 'normal' pictures

http://thefunnyshapedwoman.blogspot....-frenulum.html

Jack Newman emailed me back and said he isn't convinced that an upper lip tie causes problems but that some people think that.

We are having weight gain issues - ds is 11lbs at 5 months, gaining 1-3 ounces a week. But I don't have pain. But he comes on and off, is an inefficient nurser, doesn't flange out his upper lip... oh I dunno! This is so confusing. I don't think there is any right answer.

I hate uncertainty!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*samuella View Post
    Interesting! Our photos look similar yet my dentist was very clear it's a tie - just doesn't think it's an issue and that it's fairly common. Maybe your dentist says it's normal because he sees it fairly often?

On this page there are 'normal' pictures

Jack Newman emailed me back and said he isn't convinced that an upper lip tie causes problems but that some people think that.

We are having weight gain issues - ds is 11lbs at 5 months, gaining 1-3 ounces a week. But I don't have pain. But he comes on and off, is an inefficient nurser, doesn't flange out his upper lip... oh I dunno! This is so confusing. I don't think there is any right answer.

I hate uncertainty!
    are you going to see another dentist for another opinion?

I don't think I will just yet, I am going to watch her weight - she is 95th percentile right now, so I know I shouldn't be worrying. I just saw this post and thought hmmmm my DDs looks like that and panicked.
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

I'm going to see our pedi tomorrow to talk to him. Considering asking for a referral to an EMT. I'm just not sure if it's an issue or not. There are so many 'might be' things it's driving me nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*samuella View Post
    We are back from the dentist! He has an upper lip tie, but not a tongue tie. He doesn't recommend snipping it. He says the literature doesn't support that - that it hasn't been proven to be a problem with breastfeeding. It could become an issue in future with teeth but he said they'd deal with it then and that it's easier to snip in an older child than a wiggly baby! He said if we wanted it cut that a pediatric EMT would probably do it.

I, of course, have been doing heaps of reading online and while there may not be literature saying it impacts breastfeeding at lot of people would say that's just because there hasn't been research into that area since breastfeeding research isn't a big area. The dentist says he sees people with lip tie a lot, even one a day, and that he's not known it to be a problem - but how many of these people were breastfed?

We do have a fair amount of symptoms that could be explained by tongue or lip tie, including the poor weight gain. But I don't have pain, and that's usually a big sign. And the symptoms we do have could be explained by other things. Or not. Who knows?! His upper lip doesn't flange out when nursing and when I do it it often goes back in or the latch breaks. He pops on and off the breast a lot, but I thought that was because of unhappiness with the flow of milk. Also *sometimes* his upper lip DOES flange out on his own, so maybe it's not that big of a problem?

I'm going to email Jack Newman (he has said he doesn't think upper lip flanging out is a big deal) and go see our pedi tomorrow. I want to check his weight now because if he is doing worse then I'm more inclined to do something. But my feeling is to leave it, I think. We are close to starting solids and there are risks, though small, to cutting. Maybe if we'd known what we know now months ago we would have done something, but at almost 5.5 months I wonder if it's worth it. Though I do really believe in breast milk being the main source of nutrition for the first year and letting the baby lead on solids, so if fixing his lip would increase his weight gain and mean we don't need to be so paranoid about solids then that would be a good thing too! Oh I dunno. Bah!

So confused.

How did your appointment go?
    Here are some links that show how lip ties can affect BF and all the dental issues that go with it. We compiled a list of things in an online group for mamad like us who have been told lip/tongue ties are no issue. Like I was told by many "professionals" but have prooved them all wrong!

http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/pdf/Bfing_Frenum03.pdf

http://www.breastfeedwindsor.org/tongue%20tie.htm

http://kiddsteeth.com/old_site/infantdentalcare2010.pdf

http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/pdf/frenum_pdf.pdf

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114059/...ral_Discussion

Amazing thread, I am realizing that my son, soon to be 6, has this! It isnt as bad as to go down under the hard palate, but its very noticible when he smiles. His 2 front teeth arent spaced, which is a good thing! He never nursed due to his cleft lip and palate. he is going in for surgery in a week, I am going to bring it up to the plastic surgeon and see what he has to say about it!

I am guessing its not an issue casue they have been in his mouth hundreds of times and none of them every brought it up to me. But, I will see what they have to say.

AWESOME thread! Who knew???
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK