Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Upper lip tie? What say you?

Default Re: Upper lip tie? What say you?

So after some quick googling i will definitely bring this up to the ped at my sons 12 month check up this month. Apparently, it can also cause speech delays and other problems. After reading more I really think this added to sore nips in the beginning because my ds's tie goes clear down, between his two front teeth and attach like on the front of his hard pallet instead of to his gums. So surprised that I have never heard of this before. Anyway, sorry OP, done hijacking now!
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nsm View Post
    So after some quick googling i will definitely bring this up to the ped at my sons 12 month check up this month. Apparently, it can also cause speech delays and other problems. After reading more I really think this added to sore nips in the beginning because my ds's tie goes clear down, between his two front teeth and attach like on the front of his hard pallet instead of to his gums. So surprised that I have never heard of this before. Anyway, sorry OP, done hijacking now!
    It also causes a gap in between the teeth.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

This is an older post, but I'm having this exact issue with my 9 month old (she's a little over 14 lbs, though she was 8lbs 1oz at birth) and her upper lip looks just like that. Now I'm feeling like I need to get it clipped ASAP. If the OP is around, sis you get it clipped? Did the weight gain improve afterwards?

Oh my goodness, I'm glad I saw that picture. My SON has a upper lip like that, for the first 6 weeks we had latching issues and I was constantly being broken open, even now I get sore but not every often.

How exactly would this cause latch problems? My son had his tongue clipped at about 2 months old but my sore nipples have persisted for 11 months! My docs can't find anything wrong with me so I'm wondering if maybe this is still our problem?

It restricts the upper lip from flanging out and doing the "fish lips" that you need to get a good latch and it also prevents good suction so the nipple can slip in and out as the baby loses suction which can cause VERY sore nipples.
    Michelle

wow I am glad I saw this, I think my DD has this. It's been 4 months, I have had some soreness as well too and her top lip never flanges out. Do people go to their docs for this or is it best to go straight to a dentist?
    Last edited by @llli*caymanali; May 10th, 2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: abreviation mistake
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*caymanali View Post
    wow I am glad I saw this, I think my DD has this. It's been 4 months, I have had some soreness as well too and her top lip never flanges out. Do people go to their docs for this or is it best to go straight to a dentist?
    Go straight to a dentist that has some knowledge of breastfeeding. Ask your local IBCLC who they refer to.
    Michelle

So I emailed a pic of my LOs upper lip to my SIL who is a dental assistant and she assured me it's normal. Are there any pics online of what a normal upper lip frenulum is supposed to look like in a baby? I can't find one.
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

Hi! I saw this post a few days ago but didnt think anything. I just looked at my sons mouth and he has it...

with PP...does anyone have a pic of what the normal gum should look like? Should I go see someone this week?