Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: tongue tie

Default tongue tie

What happens to an annatended tongue tie? I dont know how to explain it, if your LO has it and is never treated how does it manifest as they grow older... I think I have it, I think baby might have it but he has had a poor latch forever and my nipples are pretty much used to it by now, not completely but I have never heard of it in my country, like theres no treatment for it cause i bet it happens still

Default Re: tongue tie

Hi, ML!

Forgive me, but I can't quite tell whether you're using a medical term I don't know, or have just spelled things a little differently.

Do you mean an unattended tongue-tie? One that hasn't been treated?
    Mama Jen

Mom to:
    Happy Toddler, 19 months, still bfeeding
    Late Son, passed at age 8, bfed 5 months
    Daughter the Elder, age 19 yrs, bfed for 22 months

i've read it can affect speech, make it hard to swallow pills, kiss

not sure what else though

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.jen View Post

Do you mean an unattended tongue-tie? One that hasn't been treated?
    yeah sorry its always a struggle to type... between the cats and the baby lol, so does it still need to be treated if he has it? I know it depends on how bad it is... so I think the question is could it still be treated?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milkylucy View Post
    yeah sorry its always a struggle to type... between the cats and the baby lol, so does it still need to be treated if he has it? I know it depends on how bad it is... so I think the question is could it still be treated?
    I personally think all tongue ties should be clipped, it causes so many issues even if it is "minor." Check out Dr Brian Palmer's website for a bunch of great info and http://kiddsteeth.com/old_site/infantdentalcare2010.pdf My DD had such a minor posterior tie that the ENT refused to clip it, but the oral surgeon felt it was quite pronounced. After clipping it at 4 months, she is now able to nurse almost exclusively I take domperidone to maintain my supply and pump, but she nurses better than she takes a bottle.