Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fewer wet diapers

Exclamation Fewer wet diapers

Hello all - DS is 5 months now. He typically eats and has decently wet diapers 6-10 times a day (depends on whether or not he's grazing). He has largely been EBF - he only very occasionally gets supplemented with formula (generally less than once a week). With GP's advice, we started him on weak rice cereal once a day just over a week ago (typically I nurse him, then he gets ~1tsp of cereal mixed with 3+ tsp of my milk). With this introduction, he has continued having the same diaper counts as he did previously.

Today, DS had a decent pee and poop at around 3pm. As of 1:00am, he had a barely wet diaper (seriously, maybe only a little damp since 3pm), but was not showing other signs of dehydration (mouth was not dry, skin looked healthy and hydrated when pinched / pressed). As far as I can tell, he has been eating well - 8 good EBF's in the last 24 hours, and I don't seem too much fuller than usual. I had him wake up a little more, and tried to feed him lots, but he only had another smallish pee by 1:30am. Today was a warm day, and we did have him out for a little while, though he was shaded and didn't seem overheated / sweaty (nor was it scorching, as it was earlier this week - the conditions really were nothing new for him). Thoughts?

Default Re: Fewer wet diapers

At 5 months, I wouldn't worry about the odd stretch of dry diapers, as LO g as the baby has sufficient wets in a 24 hour period. On hot days, kids will pee less, and sometimes older babies even learn to hold it in, in order to avoid the discomfort of sitting in a soggy diaper.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with above poster This is about time they start going longer and holding it. As long as he is making at least 5-6 diapers at this age, he's fine! If you're really worried, just keep waking him up a little more and offering then

I don't know if it has to do with the horrendous heat lately, or what, but my LO has been surprising me with dry diapers off and on for the last couple weeks. This while my crazy little night-waker is nursing up to 15 times a day.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010