Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: urgency in urination/bowel movements - BF-ing hormones?!

Default urgency in urination/bowel movements - BF-ing hormones?!

My daughter is 11 weeks old. Ever since I have been breastfeeding I have had to go to the bathroom with great urgency. I definitely don't have a UTI or anything like that, and my doctor just kind of lightly said it had to do with breastfeeding and it would continue until I stop.

I am certain that it must have to do with some kind of breastfeeding related hormone, as all of the things that DO have to do with those hormones seem to affect me very strongly. But I have tried and tried to research this and I really don't see much out there indicating that prolactin would make me have to RUN for the bathroom for a bowel movement. It freaks me out a little, this kind of thing has never happened to me before in my life!

does anyone else have a similar experience?

Default Re: urgency in urination/bowel movements - BF-ing hormones?!

I've never heard of a connection between breastfeeding and urgency in urination or bowel movements.

Could it rather be an aftereffect of giving birth? That can stretch/weaken muscles or affect nerves in the pelvic/perineum region.

Perhaps practicing kegel exercises might help with this? I hope it will soon improve; this must be annoying and stressful!

--Rebecca

I think it is the pregancy. I also have to make a dash for it. I thought it was related to the let down because I have to run to the bathroom right before a feeding.

Ive never heard that either. Doctors...

maybe your just drinking more?

hi! i have the feeling of urination as soon as dd latches on to nurse - i think to a certain extent it has to do with bf. when dd sucks, the uterus contracts a bit which may result in the feeling. it will go away soon.

I've never heard of the relation between the two...however, I go to the bathroom more now due to the fact that I drink a LOT more now to help my supply stay regular. Have you ever had your Gallbladder taken out? As for the bowel urgency...that can be related to having your gallbladder out. Just an idea..