Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mommy's dehydrated and milk is disappearing!

Default Mommy's dehydrated and milk is disappearing!

Ok...we have had a TERRIBLE few days!! I have been horribly sick with some sort of flu and can't keep even water in me. I am not severely dehydrated, but am definitely dehydrated to a point. Anyhow, through this I've been nursing my dd as usual, and actually longer than usual because she just isn't getting enough milk. I nurse, and nurse, and nurse and she finally gets sick of sucking on nothing and wants some food, so I give her a bottle. Will my supply come back as soon as I am rehydrated, or will I have to work at it more?? I'm trying to keep as many fluids in me as I can, but I can't make my body keep it in...hopefully we are on the uphill stretch of this, but I was just wondering what to expect once things are back to normal...is my supply going to be through the roof once I'm rehydrated from all the extra sucking (I have a tendency to overproduce) or will I still have to nurse extra to get it back up...thanks!!
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

Default Re: Mommy's dehydrated and milk is disappearing!

Hi Jenne
    I can understand the frustration you're going through, coz my supply also dipped badly when I had mastitis. But I think it will come back to normal once you've recovered, like mine did Apart from nursing your LO and drinking plenty of fluids, do have sufficient rest so your body can recover faster. Take care and hang in there!

I am sorry that you are not feeling well. It is important that you get some fluids in you via orally or IV fluids, not only for your milk but also for YOU! Please call your doctor in the am if you have another rough night. There are save meds that you can take to help you keep things down.. Your supply should bounce back just keep nursing, if you have too much then we will deal with that then. Get well soon! Brittan

I don't have any advice but I hope you feel better soon!!

Thanks for the support ladies...I am feeling better today, but now I have a terrible cold on top of everything I'm starting to get better from!! AARRGG!! Anyhow, my supply has taken a SERIOUS dip...and now dd isn't wanting to try much to get milk from me....but still will nurse for comfort and sometimes just wants to have mommy, so I guess that is a positive. When she's hungry though, she'll nurse for a while, but then just plays and doesn't really even suck...and then she screams because she's still hungry...how do I get my supply back if she doesn't want to nurse now?? It wouldn't totally kill me to have to give her formula and still nurse part time, but I really don't want this to completely end yet! Maybe I'm a bit premature about this...I'll give it a few more days and see what happens...I guess at this point I'll be glad she still wants me at all!! Again thanks for the support, I'll just keep trying...
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

supply/demand milk ebbs/flows. it is normal to have these probs when sick. keep nursing/pumping during the nursing times even if nothing is coming out - in 24-48 hours you should be gtg with milk supply. try to take as many/much liquid as possible even a few days after illness. bol!