Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving dd cow's milk

Default Giving dd cow's milk

Ok so I know she doesn't need it because she nurses more than 4x a day.... I never give it to her. She has it in oatmeal and mac and cheese and whatnot. Yesterday dh stepmom gave her some, and I was a lil but no big deal... Do you think it's ok do give it to her when I am not at home?? I kinda have it in my head that it's for baby cows and not lil humans (even tho yeah I drink it but do we need it really??) I have read that we are the only species that continues to drink milk after the weaning age, it's sort of weird if you think about it... Not to mention how alot of the milk out there has so many hormones and antibiotics..

So I don't know I think dh wants to start giving it to her.
    Amy~
    first time mommy, 2-15-09 to my lil bambina from then til ?, done with pumping!!

Default Re: Giving dd cow's milk

I had a hard time giving Lilah cow's milk at first... heck, even water . But I drink milk, I love cheese and other dairy products. After breastfeeding, it really does seem weird to drink milk from another species... but again, I'm not going to cut dairy out of my diet. Why wouldn't I have it in hers? You don't have to let your daughter have milk, or you could - I just don't see it as a bit deal.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I give her dairy, cheese and yogurt... I don't know it's not that big of a deal. I just like I said kinda being weird about it or something do ya think??
    Amy~
    first time mommy, 2-15-09 to my lil bambina from then til ?, done with pumping!!

are you the main shopper?
    ITs hard to give them milk that isn't in the house.

WE have a wonderful glass bottle dairy near us that I would get milk from if we drank it.

I get maybe a gallon a week.. for 6 people. I do cook with milk from time to time and they do eat cheese and yougart.
    WE just don't drink glass after glass.

with Tracie. I never gave DD milk to drink until one day she just started asking for it I don't drink it, but I like cheese/yogurt, etc. So she only really gets it to drink when she asks for it and that's it. I don't give it to her regularly b/c she doesn't need it.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

It's so funny how our perspective changes after we have a child. I have a friend who doesn't drink milk anymore... just grossed out by the idea. And giving our babies milk from somewhere else is a letting go of sorts.

If you don't want to - don't. Even though the reasons may sound weird to DH, he can't understand what you're talking about. I still flip out if someone calls cow's milk "regular" - as in "Is she drinking REGULAR milk yet?" Since she doesn't need the milk right now, you can wait until you are comfortable.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Andrea, yeah I buy it but dh drinks it by the gallon he drinks ALOT.

and I don't know if it's so much the "letting go" or I just don't think she needs it right now(you know cause all the good things she gets from bm) maybe after a while I won't be so weirded out by it... Yeah our perspectives really do change after having little ones.....
    Amy~

Nora has never drunk cow's milk. People ask us why not and try to encourage us to give it to her, but I never felt the need. We do buy it and DH and I drink it in our coffee. Nora eats it in cereal sometimes (but never drinks what is left in the bowl). D is allergic, so he won't be drinking it for a long time if ever. We eat a lot of cheese and yogurt and ice cream, so I figure none of us are missing anything essential.

We always drank milk growing up, my parents served it with every meal. But Nora just drinks water with her meals, occasionally apple juice.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Nora has never drunk cow's milk. People ask us why not and try to encourage us to give it to her, but I never felt the need. We do buy it and DH and I drink it in our coffee. Nora eats it in cereal sometimes (but never drinks what is left in the bowl). D is allergic, so he won't be drinking it for a long time if ever. We eat a lot of cheese and yogurt and ice cream, so I figure none of us are missing anything essential.

We always drank milk growing up, my parents served it with every meal. But Nora just drinks water with her meals, occasionally apple juice.
    Ok good I guess I don't feel so weird now...
    Amy~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I still flip out if someone calls cow's milk "regular" - as in "Is she drinking REGULAR milk yet?"
    I have noticed that I now refer to it as "Cow's milk" instead of "Regular" milk or even just "milk".

Benjamin 07/13/06
    Brooklynne 07/14/09