Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Some Success FINALLY! 29 day early & NICU graduate

Smile Some Success FINALLY! 29 day early & NICU graduate

Over the course of the last 2 to 3 weeks, I've read everything I can get my hands on with regard to BF'ing, Books and Internet boards (Kellymom & CafeMom as well).

I was worried at first my milk didn't have what it took for Camden to thrive due to a low weight gain, then I couldn't figure out why he wouldn't nurse from my RB and had to work so hard at nursing from my LB (flat nipple - using a nipple shield).

Now there is a bit of pain when he long draws off the L nipple. I can't keep him awake for more than 10 minutes and the minute I remove my breast (his pacifier) he wakes and pitches a fit. He's always sucking on his fists, trying to nurse off my arm or if I get my face close to his, he's going for my nose. LOL He grunts a lot, sucks his tongue and makes other noises with his mouth.

I have a consult from his Ped to see a new LC that is local to us and not have to drive an hour north now and that is comforting. You are probably wondering where the SUCCESS is in this ...

We have been expressed BM bottle free for 5 days now. He gained 6 oz in 6 days and our nights aren't nearly as bad as they used to be. I'm still exhausted and frustrated with the DH for sleeping through most of our experiences, but I still count it is a Success.

Kerri & Camden
    Kerri

Camden -- 29 days early & a NICU Graduate; BD 07-11-10, 6lbs, 19.5" approx'ly. "1 and done, especially at 38."

♥ ♥ Only an Aunt can give hugs like a mother, keep secrets like a sister, and love like a friend. ♥ ♥

Default Re: Some Success FINALLY! 29 day early & NICU graduate

Yay! Good for you. It is hard to not be mad at the DHs while they snore away and we are awake. My baby wasn't born early, but it took her a while to get over the sleepy nursing. It sounds like things are going great and your sweet boy will wake up more soon. Believe it or not, I miss the days when I sat on the couch the entire day and did nothing but nurse.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Default Re: Some Success FINALLY! 29 day early & NICU graduate

Weight gain is the key here! It takes time for preemies to get it, either because they are so tired from working so hard to grow or because suck/swallow/breathe is a huge milestone or because of something else. It just takes time. Perseverance is what will get you through! Sounds like you've got it. Just wait, in a few months you will be here talking to all the new NICU moms like a pro
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn