Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My darling daughter has weaned

Default Re: My darling daughter has weaned

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    That's a good weaning. She was ready.

My son nursed a few times after he was basically weaned, but it was quickly clear his heart wasn't in it. He'd just nurse a few seconds and then lose interest. The last time he couldn't even figure out how to do it.

They really do outgrow it.
    i feel for you!

we weaned in february (2 months short of 4) and he has tried again twice....but forgot how as well.....the last time was just last week, he asked, then tried, then looked at me and said 'wait, let me just get connected' he really had no clue how to latch....but i will remember nursing him forever
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I just weaned my 3 year old daughter as well! It's been 2.5 weeks and although I feel bad physically, I feel very accomplished. We tried 2 other times before and it wasn't the right time so we went back to nursing. Now, she is settled with it and doing very well. Doesn't even ask for it!

The PPs make a good point. Be flexible. If you have to restart, no harm done. But if you don't, you'll get your body back and your child will have a major milestone under her belt.

I've been wanting it to end for the last 18 months but wouldn't do it when she wasn't really ready. So I kept going, and going. But I'm feeling a little sad about it as well.

Also, some of that sadness is hormonal, remember. But the emotional component of weaning is very real and very bittersweet.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolamomma View Post
    This was on Monday, before our visit to the ped and right after I nursed her to sleep for the last time. I love this baby so much...she just fills my heart to the tip top every day.

the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

What a great story! It brings tears to my eyes remembering nursing DS2 for almost 4 years and being at "that point" and ready to wean. I think they know that mama isn't enjoying it as much anymore and decide its time to stop. Its so hard to think I will probably feel that way again with DS3... I still keep thinking I hope he will nurse forever because he is our last little baby
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Somehow I had missed this

I am currently nusring and still feel guilty for not continuing to nurse Gabe. He did walk away sort of on his own and we did make it to three years but he still asks and I still allow, however he never nurses, he has forgotten how, he just wants to make sure I that door is still open.

Congrats mama! You've given your child all the love and nourishment you can possibly provide and she will still be getting that from you, just in a different way
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

You have brought tears to my eyes....I am the first woman in my Latin family to nurse my child (outside of my grandmother who had no means for formula) to nurse my child. She is 2 1/2. Everyone has been concerned with nursing this long except for us, we actually get more sleep if I just let her nurse at night when she likes (sometimes 2 times, but mostly once).

We have done exactly what you have done, nursing nap and bedtime (we have family bed), to her like when she is sick or feeling "bad", and we are now preparing for 3 to be cut off. For basically the same reasons you posted. My mother advised me to just cut off and well, you can guess how that went.

I am okay going this far and hope we can transition as smoothly as you and dad did. I just dont want her to be mad at me, hurt or feel guilty that I am not doing this for her anymore...I want her to transition anxious-less and with much love in her heart.

Thanks for the inspiration....
    laylasmomma (5/25/08)
    !!!
    CO (and loving it)
    with daddy and baby

To follow up on this, it did not end up being as cut and dry as it began. After several weeks of not nursing, she started asking again. So she nursed for a week at nap time. Then nothing for two weeks. Then for two days, then nothing for a month. It ended up being more gradual and that felt so much better.

Just the other day, for the first time in a couple of months, she asked again. But she's forgotten how! I can't believe it. She just sat there with my nipple in her mouth, giving me a blank and kind of awkward stare then she was done.

What an amazing journey it has been!!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

So sweet Christy! Sounds like it was a gentle and happy weaning process for both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolamomma View Post
    Just the other day, for the first time in a couple of months, she asked again. But she's forgotten how! I can't believe it. She just sat there with my nipple in her mouth, giving me a blank and kind of awkward stare then she was done.
    That's exactly what Nora did when she asked to nurse after I had D.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I love it! They are so funny.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.