Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My darling daughter has weaned

Default My darling daughter has weaned

It feels so strange writing that. Almost as strange as the fact that I have not nursed her for 2 1/2 days.

For the past year we have nursed at least twice a day, midday nap and bedtime...occasionally a morning session and when she was sick, no limits at all.

When she was approaching two I was having the back-and-forth with myself...one part saying "it's time" and the other part saying, "STFU."

When she was 2 1/2, we started preparing her for 3 years old being the limit. She turned 3 on August 6th. And I felt that a day of celebration was not a day to create unnecessary stress for my daughter.

Lately I had been thinking that I'd love to do a deep cleanse, a detox to rid my body of some of those environmental toxins that I associate some health issues I've had over the past couple of years. This is something I would not consider while nursing, because I don't want that being dislodged from my body and poured into hers. Also, the nipple pain when I'm ovulating and PMSing...it's just gotten to the point that is was no longer mutually desirable.

But I kept on because I know that this is a very short phase and I'll have plenty of time to get to me.

On Monday (the 9th) we went to her pediatrician for her check-up. I volunteered the fact that Norah was "still" nursing and the doc said, "Norah...it's time to stop nursing" or something like that. The thing was, that while I knew there was no reason for her to stop, I was ready to stop. This is why I chose to bite my tongue, one of the very few times in my life.

So, I went with it. When we got home we told Daddy that the doctor said no more nursing. We talked about it and I offered to rock her to sleep or go straight to bed and she chose to go straight to bed. And she did. And she slept.

And then I felt soooo guilty.

Next day for nap, I gave her the same two choices and she chose to rock this time.

She has not asked to nurse again. She is going down at noon and night and there have been no tears and no talk of it and I'm just.....surprised I guess.

I wanted it to be a stress-free event for her, but this seems too easy.

In 8 days I am leaving her for 3 nights for the first time, so the timing seems to be good...I just can't get over that it was such a non-event for her. I mean, I'm happy...I'm thrilled that she is not stressing about this. I guess it means that she was ready.

But why can't I shake the guilt?? It's crazy.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Default Re: My darling daughter has weaned

Christy...you've given her a beautiful gift...but I understand that as mamas, we always seem to heap on the guilt. I think this is one of the times that you can let that guilt go...you went way above and beyond what so many do, she is not showing signs of distress over weaning, and she's happy,healthy, well-adjusted 3yo. I think it is a great end to an amazing journey!

Give that beautiful blue-eyed girl a hug from her friends in Texas
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I will Leslie. Thank you.

This was on Monday, before our visit to the ped and right after I nursed her to sleep for the last time. I love this baby so much...she just fills my heart to the tip top every day.

Last edited by @llli*nolamomma; August 11th, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

She is so big. Although I completely "get" that feeling of guilt, YOU know you have nothing to really feel guilty about. She obviously was ready, and it just happened that you were too. Too perfect if you ask me.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

if this is really the end it sounds like it was exactly right for both of you.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I still feel that guilt, so long after Cooper weaned. Like it was too good to be true, to have his self weaning be that easy. Each day, the guilt will ease a little more...I think we as moms seem to miss it more than the kids seem to, when they choose to stop on their own. Congrats on 3 amazing years of breastfeeding!!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

You definitely have no reason to feel guilty! Congrats on 3 years of nursing! You have given her a wonderful gift.
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

3 years of nursing, with a mutual time for weaning, what is there to be guilty about. You did wonderful, and she was ready. Couldn't get any better.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Bittersweet!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones