Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 BF questions

Red face 2 BF questions

1. WHEN WILL MY BREATS STOP LEAKING?? I leak so much from whatever breast I am not feeding from, I am so affraid of this when we are out and about!! I thought it ended at some time (my baby is 10.5 weeks). And I am sick of breast pads, I change them 3 times a day (using most expensive disposables I can find). Will this go on the whole time I am BFing??

2. I am also pumping and bottle feeding....but I am not quite sure how much my baby should be eatting....she is 10.5 weeks, about 13lbs (yes, she is my chunky monkey). 4oz? 6oz? 9oz bottles?? Its not that I don't know how much she should est b/c I know she will only eat as much as she can.....but what is the "norm" if there is one for weight+oz's???

As a side note....I LOVE breastfeeding and could not imagine it any other way!! I was so worried about it, and now I look forward to our feedings, expecally if she hadn't eaten in awhile or we had a bottle in between......

Thank you !!

Default Re: 2 BF questions

Quote Originally Posted by juliabshull
    1. WHEN WILL MY BREATS STOP LEAKING?? I leak so much from whatever breast I am not feeding from, I am so affraid of this when we are out and about!! I thought it ended at some time (my baby is 10.5 weeks). And I am sick of breast pads, I change them 3 times a day (using most expensive disposables I can find). Will this go on the whole time I am BFing??
    That's hard to say. Most mothers find that the leaking slows considerably or completey stops by around twelve weeks (when supply naturally regulates), however, a few mothers do continue leaking some up until they wean. You might find the following information helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/leak.html

Quote Originally Posted by juliabshull
    2. I am also pumping and bottle feeding....but I am not quite sure how much my baby should be eatting....she is 10.5 weeks, about 13lbs (yes, she is my chunky monkey). 4oz? 6oz? 9oz bottles?? Its not that I don't know how much she should est b/c I know she will only eat as much as she can.....but what is the "norm" if there is one for weight+oz's???
    Most breastfed babies will take in between 2 oz and 4 oz per feeding. The best suggestion is to thaw/serve ebm in small increments. If baby is still hungry, more can quickly be warmed. If you're looking for exact numbers, this resource (not a LLL resource) might be helpful:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html