Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oregano Oil and Lemon Juice for thrush?

Default Oregano Oil and Lemon Juice for thrush?

My midwife suggested using oregano oil diluted with olive oil as a light coating on my nipples and the juice of a lemon on the white spots in my DD's mouth, to fight thrush. Has anyone else treated thrush with either of these? Did it work?

Trying to win the thrush battle,
    Country-Momma

Default Re: Oregano Oil and Lemon Juice for thrush?

I've never heard of this, and I researched thrush like there's no tomorrow. I would imagine if this was a typical cure I would have heard of it by now and it would be more widely known.

I recommend you review the following links.

LLL info
    Jack Newman's info
    More from Dr. Newman

Have you done these things? How long has it been going on?

I would be very hesitant to use oregano oil and lemon juice in fear that it would get worse. Thrush is like a nasty wildfire that takes off and gets worse very quickly. It is hard to treat, so it requires viligence.

From a more natural perspective, you can use Grapefruit Seed Extract. Review Dr. Newman's info on that to make sure you get the right stuff, however. I would use the GSE in combo with the other methods.

Nystain is the first course of treatment. Gentian Violet also is a mess, but can work. You can get that OTC.

I encourage you to be vigiliant toward the thrush. It can be very nasty to get rid of. You don't want it to go on and on. Nip it in the bud, while you can.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Default Re: Oregano Oil and Lemon Juice for thrush?

We've done a similar cream to the All-purpose nipple ointment, that our lactation consultant recommended. (A mix of hydrocortizone and another cream that I can't spell...it's for athlete's foot...) Things cleared up with that for me and gentian violet for baby. But, it came back. That's when I decided to ask our midwife for something more natural. She said the oregano oil has helped practically every momma she's given it to, and some have had it pretty bad. I'm pleased to report after about 4 days of using it, things seem to be on the mend. I've read the Newman site, and if this doesn't work, I'll go back to the gentian violet. Despite the purple factor! *wink*

Thanks!
    Country-Momma