Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropping the paci by 1 year

Default Dropping the paci by 1 year

The doc said at DS apointment that by his 12 month visit we should be off bottle and onto sippy and no more paci. He has the paci 90% of the time at naps and night time sleep. I don't think he would have to have it to go to sleep I'm not sure, it makes ir easier and so far easier is good, but he does wake during night sleep and if I don't pop it back in he will wake and stand if he can't find it. Do I have to just try to lay him back down or rock him. When He takes naps or goes to bed for the night 75% of the time I just lay him down with a blanket and paci and he goes to sleep. There is not much rocking needed. I just quit pumping and was excited that I might get more sleep now. Of course that is not really happening do to the paci problem. I think he has alergies and get stuffed up so this is frustrating for him as well.

So after my big run on. LOL What do you do when might not need it for bed but does during the night?

Thanks for taking the time to read and answere.
    Last edited by @llli*glad2bamom; August 11th, 2010 at 02:02 PM.

Default Re: Dropping the paci by 1 year

I don't have any opinions about the bottle or the paci. Why is your doctor telling you that he needs to be off of them? What is the medical reason? What I'm getting at here, is that I don't think it's your doctor's business... this is a parenting decision you need to make.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I don't have any opinions about the bottle or the paci. Why is your doctor telling you that he needs to be off of them? What is the medical reason? What I'm getting at here, is that I don't think it's your doctor's business... this is a parenting decision you need to make.
    I'll tell you what we did--not that it's right or wrong (or even what I would have chosen or thought I would have chosen)--we didn't make an issue of it. He gave up the paci a couple of months ago, and he's 3. He never became attached to a lovey (except my breasts ), and he self-weaned at 21 months, so for a while the paci was not a big deal to us; we just thought of it as his lovey. It became a bigger deal to me around his third birthday, but we were also working on potty training, and I felt that to take the paci then was socking him with a double whammy. As it turns out, one weekend we went to my mom's and forgot the paci. He asked about it a couple of nights (he only had it when he was sleeping), and that was it. It worked for us--though I'm sure our pediatrician would have been horrified.

Whatever you decide, decide based on what works for your family. Your pediatrician can decide for his/hers.

I'm not sure about the bottle but I think the paci is so his teeth come in right. He has his two bottom and getting the top four now. When do people usually do these things? This is our first child. If we decide to do this now or later, it would be helpfull to have ideas on how to accomplish this task.

Do you EP? I think I remember reading that somewhere else?

With the bottle, I just stopped bringing them to the sitters. Lilah was 14 months old and only had them when she was in day care. She didn't get any bottles over a two week span at Christmas when she was home with me, and then she just never got one again.

She wouldn't take the pacifier, so I haven't had to do that... and probably wouldn't until she was 3 or so. It seems like most of the people I know that have pulled the paci usually do it around age 3. I'm surprised that your pediatrician is pushing it at age 1. But perhaps they think it will be easier to do at this age than waiting until later.

For bottles, my brother and his wife started replacing one bottle a week with a sippy of milk instead of the bottle. After about two months he was all the way on straw cups and off bottles... at about a year old. I think the bedtime/naptime bottles were the ones they pulled last.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

We stopped giving Davis a paci right around 1. Maybe a bit before, I can't really remember. We stopped because it was irritating his skin, but probably would have shot for right around a year anyway. He was never really too dependent on it, but we were. It was magic for getting him to sleep, especially since I wasn't nursing him and didn't have that tool. I stopped sending it to the sitter with him first, so he got used to not having it during the day, then we stopped giving it to him while putting him to sleep, then stopped giving it to him when he woke at night. He never really complained much about it, but we had to find new ways of getting him to sleep.

I have no advice on getting them off a bottle, Nora just gave them up on her own at 13 mos and D is still taking them at 18 mos. He sort of sucks on his bottle like a paci actually. Probably not all that good for him, but he won't take the formula from a cup and he has to have it so bottle it is.

One way or the other I wouldn't push too hard if he resists. Some kids are more dependent than others but I think most will give those things up with little fuss if you wait until they are ready.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*glad2bamom View Post
    I'm not sure about the bottle but I think the paci is so his teeth come in right. He has his two bottom and getting the top four now. When do people usually do these things? This is our first child. If we decide to do this now or later, it would be helpful to have ideas on how to accomplish this task.
    I'm not so sure about the teeth thing. Both my kids have straight top teeth. DS1 used a paci till he was 2.5. He self wean off it. He only had it in bed and I began putting on his pillow as opposed to his mouth so that he had the choice to use it or not. He eventually lost it done the side of the bed and never asked me to find it.
    DS2 is 9 months, has 8 teeth and uses a paci. I will let him self wean the paci too.

The bottle, we weaned ds1 off at about 18 months. We slowly dropped a bottle fed and replaced it with a cup feed over a fairly long period of time. Bedtime and morning bottle were the last to go. We found that if we didn't worry or make a big deal out of it, the weaning went smoother.
    I believe there is a push to wean off the bottle earlier due to dental caries. I don't have the link, but I did read an article saying 9 months to switch to a sippy. But if you really think about it, a sippy cup is just a bottle in disguise. Our dentist said that a sippy is just as bad as a bottle and to not put anything but water in one.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    With the bottle, I just stopped bringing them to the sitters. Lilah was 14 months old and only had them when she was in day care. She didn't get any bottles over a two week span at Christmas when she was home with me, and then she just never got one again.
    Hmmm. That's a good idea. Will will be with me for a week at Thanksgiving; maybe that would be a good time to go off bottles. As for the paci, JMO, if he only has it at night I wouldn't think it would hurt his teeth.

It's great hearing all of your experiences, for me I am the one with the oldest baby of my friends and family. Sadly LOL ....they look to me for guidence, so thank you. Keep sharing And as for mommy2lilah Yes I am a EPer and have posted before about swaddle problems and I could have briefly mentioned the paci in there. Thank you all
    Last edited by @llli*glad2bamom; August 11th, 2010 at 02:55 PM.

I think alot of kids have a high sucking need. And the paci or bottle fills that need.