Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Second guessing my weaning

Default Second guessing my weaning

Here's the short of it. . .

My 11.5 was still almost ex. BF. I began to wean by the suggestion of the lactation consultant and doctor since he wasn't gaining weight and I was killing myself trying to nurse all the time- I was a basket case and realized this was part of my PPD.

Well, I believe we rushed in to solids too quickly perhaps and also with the cows milk. We were told to offer 3 meals a day and after a couple of weeks he was gobbling them up! I began to offer milk instead of the breast. I felt like the weight of the world was off my shoulders since his growth wasn't all on me.

Unfortunately now he's got little red bumps all over his neck and they are spreading down his chest and shoulders. I am almost certain they are from the milk since this happened when I added milk back into MY diet while nursing him at 6 months. I very much regret weaning him so much. I am at the point where I only have a little every time he wants to nurse. I tried to offer milk today but he hardly eats any.

I dont' know whether to work my supply up a little (nursing was not a breeze for us and stress takes a big toll on my supply) or to begin soy milk or find yet another alternative. This is what really makes me realize the benefit of extended breastfeeding. Why should I have assumes a cow can give my child the nutrition I was made to give him?

What do mamas do who realize too late that cow's milk won't work at this point? He's 13.5 months. (And he has gained beautifully in the past two months btw. )

Default Re: Second guessing my weaning

Maybe try rice milk with coconut milk added for extra fat. That's what one of my friends does whose LO can't have soy or dairy. Sorry about all the struggles you've had.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Rashes can be tricky to diagnose. If you are at all concerned , a trip to the doctor is well worth it. Also I have seen on other websites food ideas for allergic toddlers.
    Although your LO does not breastfeed, you can still enjoy the soothing and calmly effects by holding him close to you chest and swaying or rocking. Even my 9 year old still enjoys it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esthervegan View Post
    Rashes can be tricky to diagnose. If you are at all concerned , a trip to the doctor is well worth it. Also I have seen on other websites food ideas for allergic toddlers.
    Although your LO does not breastfeed, you can still enjoy the soothing and calmly effects by holding him close to you chest and swaying or rocking. Even my 9 year old still enjoys it.
    Last time he had it the doctor said it was heat rash.

Thanks for the ideas.

I was told by my MW to wait on Soy and try Goats milk before that.. Soy has high levels of Estrogen and may not be good for boys.. I may be wrong but I do trust her and her advice.. but you can increase your supply if you want or maybe pump and give him you BM in a bottle or sippy instead of cows milk to is another option if you don't want to return to nursing..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Do you have a pump? If I were you I would try to pump and offer him that milk if you have issues with breastfeeding directly. Then you could offer him water and breastmilk in addition to his solids.

So I don't think this kid is ready to give up! Even though there's not a ton at each "serving", he's been nursing frequently and I think he might be increasing the supply by himself. I talked to the doctor and she encouraged me to not change anything right now. Perhaps it's not milk allergy.

I am giddy just thinking that we're not done feeding!

Good for you for trying to get him back to the breast. 13 months is really an age when many toddlers nursing patterns change. Some pick up, while others are distracted and slow down.

You are doing a great job and should be so excited about your progress. Please keep us posted!
    Alene
    LLL Leader

with pp 13.5 months things can change drastically! DS will be 14 mths on the 19th and he is nursing almost nonstop when we are together. Not that I mind but I had thought I had almost pump weaned and now I'm getting full at work again so more pumping. not a big deal...i don't think I was really ready to give up the pump yet anyway.

your lo may get your supply up by himself. i would let him nurse as much as he wants.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton