Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Growth Spurt?

Default Growth Spurt?

My 4 1/2 week old suddenly changed his schedule. He was up every two hours last night nursing, and then almost every hour today since 9 this morning. Is it possible he's at a growth spurt? Do I just continue nursing him whenever he wants??

Also, his nursing sessions are quite short compared to normal (about 10 minutes long instead of his usual 15-20). Do I try to get him to take more, or just leave it?

Default Re: Growth Spurt?

Go with the flow....he knows what he needs!! I would say it is a growth spurt. Unfortunitly he will change he eating style and schedule 100 more times from now until your done BFing and from what I have learned if you just relax and go with what your baby wants and needs instead of thinking about it too much, you will both me much happier!! Hang in there even if it seems like all you are doing is BFing.

ITA with the PP.

Here's a resource that you might find informative:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/spurt.html

How long do growth spurts last? My daughter is 7 weeks old and this is her 10th day of going only 30min-1 hour between feedings during the day, and 2-2.5 hours at night, but still spends up to an hour nursing each time. I'm going back to work soon (I work from home) and was hoping to avoid having to supplement but I can't do much work if she's attached to me for that long

LizzyDarcy,
    I would say if dd is feeding that often and for that length of time then some of that I would say might be comfort sucking. Do you give dd a paci? I don't know about you but I can tell when ds is just comfort sucking. He isn't swallowing and I don't see a dampness at the corner of his mouth. Also his suck is abit different when comfort sucking a bit more relaxed seeming. I hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply sheena! Half the time dd's on the breast she's in a half-asleep, Zen-like state and sucks very quietly and slowly. I can't tell for sure if she's swallowing or not, but there's still some dampness on her lips and the corner of her mouth. I have no doubt some of it is comfort sucking, but won't she outgrow that easier than a pacifier? And should I remove her from the breast when she starts comfort sucking?

However the duration of her feedings has always been 30-60 minutes. My main question is the frequency of her feedings - is this still a growth spurt or a brand new schedule? She used to go for 2 hours during the day and 3-5 hours at night between feedings, but all that changed when she hit her 6th week.

I would say after what did you say 10 days it's been going on that she should have been past any growth spurt and the freqency of feeding should have been back to where they were before she started nursing so often. So if she was roughly a 2-3 hr nurser she would have went back to that. So try and just hold or entertain her for a bit before feeding dd and see if that helps you out any. I don't stand for long comfort sucking with 2 other little ones around. I do let ds comfort suck when my other two are a sleep or dh is home to help with them. I don't give a paci and not really fond of them. But I also don't like them sucking their thumbs either so I don't win. But I didn't stand for a paci or thumb sucking and so far my two older ones don't do either so I'm sure dc3 wont do either. If you notice comfort sucking do what you feel is best, I unlatch and entertain Cole in other manners so that I can enjoy my other children also before they grow up. Hope I help some.
    Last edited by sheena137; February 25th, 2006 at 12:40 AM.