Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Seriously considering weaning sooner rather than later...

Default Seriously considering weaning sooner rather than later...

Gosh, I a so conflicted about this. DS2 will be a year old in another month. I had originally intended to wait until at least 2 years of age to wean, and to let DS2 decide when he's done. A part of me still wants to do that.

But I'm also realizing that I need to look after my own health, too. And the truth is, nursing has taken a lot out of me. I have lost so much weight this time around, it's a little scary. I am concerned about losing bone and muscle mass, though I've been taking measures to try and stop that from happening. I need to start taking a calcium supplement, though...

I've been getting myself on a more regular exercise routine lately (I will have to set a good example for my clients someday when I become a personal trainer, yk?), but I've been hesitant to do too much, since-- like I said above-- I'm already losing too much weight. I eat as much as I possibly can.

DS2 loves to nurse, though, and I hate to take that away from him before he is ready. I can tell he still needs it, for the comfort as well as the nutrition. He's still not real big on solids, and he gets constipated easily whenever I try to up his intake. He has a sensitive stomach still and is still spitting up at least a couple times a day. I am especially concerned about introducing whole milk into his diet. Lactose intolerance runs in DH's family. I need to do some research on an acceptable (and preferably inexpensive) alternative...

I will also admit that I am rather eager to get back on a regular menstrual cycle...

~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Default Re: Seriously considering weaning sooner rather than later...

How long did you nurse DS1? And how will you feel later on if you wean him at a year?

It's normal for bone density to decrease while pregnant and nursing. However, your bone density will increase back to it's former levels sometime after he starts eating more solids.

And his nursing pattern will change - as you well know. So you should be able to put some weight on.

Is there something else going on with you that makes you want to wean, related to your anxiety and all that?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    How long did you nurse DS1? And how will you feel later on if you wean him at a year?
    It's not so much that I want him completely weaned at a year. But, I deifintely want to _start_ the process, iykwim. It would be *nice* if I could get him down to 3-4 nursing sessions per 24-hour period, rather than 6-8. And he _used_ to sttn without nursing, but lately not so much...

Is there something else going on with you that makes you want to wean, related to your anxiety and all that?
    No, not really...at least, I don't think so. I am just wanting to get *me* back, yk? Get some normalcy back in my life, be able to have some time away from the boys for more than 2-3 hours. It would be so nice if DH and I could go and do some camping and hiking together without having to tote the boys along...That may just have to wait until next summer, though...

But, I don't want to force DS to wean completely if he's not ready...Like I said, I'm just rather conflicted about the whole thing.
    ~Sylvia~

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

FWIW I take a great calcium supplement through Garden of Life - Vitamin Code - Build more Bones, something or other... you can find it at the Vitamin shop or online... vitaminshop.com or gardenoflife.com

Not cheap, but a lot cheaper than the root canal I just paid for...

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

I keep responding to this post and deleting it!!!

I am totally confused. Do you enjoy nursing? If so and your concern is your weight loss, then I think that can be addressed as you continue to nurse.

At 1 they are still babies and weaning at that time is so hard.

But once you get closer to 15 months it is very different.

Stick with it. He won't keep up that many times for much longer.

Where is he at w/ teething @ milestones?

Walking? Molars? ... That really does matter with STTN.

And when you're sort of done w/ that stuff you can night wean. We night weaned and stopped co-sleeping at 14/15 months... and then suddenly I enjoyed daytime nursing a LOT more.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

The night wakings are probably due to his first year molars if you are close to that point. Anytime in the first year someone was STTN and stops it's usually teeth or milestones or both. And the two major holes that have to be made to get those molars through are no joke.

Stick with it. You can begin to modify but everything you say about his sensitive stomach and possible issues with dairy, that would make me hesitant BEFORE I added in how the milk changes around the year point. There is so much going on. The colostrum is wearing off, they are beginning to walk so separation anxiety is way up, solid food can't be trusted yet for their nutritional point, a year is where weaning should BEGIN. So begin. Distract more. With a one year all you really have to do is get out. They ARE and can be distracted. By the whole wide world, but other children, by any park at all! Don't offer as much. Negotiate out of some sessions. Begin don't offer don't refuse. When I wanted to get DJ to give up the home sessions that were obviously boredom driven, I would LEAVE or I would trade.
    Your bone density will come back and so will your period. Stick with it.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    The night wakings are probably due to his first year molars if you are close to that point. Anytime in the first year someone was STTN and stops it's usually teeth or milestones or both. And the two major holes that have to be made to get those molars through are no joke.
    Well, he doesn't have ANY teeth yet, so it's probably not molars...Unless he were to get his molars first...wouldn't that be something...

You can begin to modify but everything you say about his sensitive stomach and possible issues with dairy, that would make me hesitant BEFORE I added in how the milk changes around the year point.
    That's why I was thinking of maybe trying a substitute, like soy milk or goat's milk or something...

a year is where weaning should BEGIN.
    Agreed. I'm not going to start the process for another month AT LEAST. I'm just trying to think ahead to how I might go about it...

Distract more. With a one year all you really have to do is get out. They ARE and can be distracted. By the whole wide world, but other children, by any park at all!
    This is so true. DS will rarely nurse away from home anymore, he gets so distracted. But even if I'm distracting him from nursing, he still needs something to drink...Right now he's getting around 4-6 ounces of water pretty much every day. But again, it comes back to finding a good cow's milk substitute since I don't want to start him on cow's milk yet until his stomach is more mature.

Your bone density will come back and so will your period. Stick with it.
    I know...I hate waiting, though. I need me some patience!

It's good to know that I will be able to get back my former bone and muscle mass. I'm already working on it, so...I'll try not to stress too much.

I really am committed to nursing DS for a long as he needs it. I know it didn't exactly seem that way from my former posts...I just wanted to make sure I was taking care of myself, too. And it's good to have some reassurance and encouragement from you ladies.
    ~Sylvia~

Daughter of God

As long as you are still nursing at least 3-5x in a 24hour period, after the year point you DO NOT need a milk substitute. You can let him have a sippy while you are out and about fullof water. And 3-5x a day is enough. I'd put off finding a substitute. And just nurse LESS.

Way too lazy for formula

pianosinger, la leche league is the place where you can let down your hair, so to speak and gripe a bit about breastfeeding w/o the added stress of disapproval. It's okay to admit that nursing is not always fluffy clouds and rainbow skys. I know you are dedicated to your children's well being. and I know that you are a devoted breastfeeding mom. the WOMANLY ART OF BREASTFEEDING has great information about starting solids and avoiding cows milk.