Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My last week...

Default My last week...

Hi all,

I'm not really looking for advice, maybe just encouragement. This week will be my last week of bf'ing my 22-month old daughter. I have been diagnosed with an auto-immune disease and have finally conceded that I need stronger medications in order to function. One of these is incompatible w/bf'ing. I've tried alternatives and nothing has controlled the pain adequately so far.

Due to my situation, there is a good chance I will not be able to have another child. I really hope we can both get through this week. I am so thankful I have been able to bf as long as I have, despite a lot of obstacles along the way. My daughter is healthy and thriving.

Hoping the bond between us grows stronger even though the nursing relationship will end.

Thanks for reading -- I love this site!
    Mom to my precious Aelis
    -----------------------------------

Default Re: My last week...

many hugs to you

How many times would you say she is nursing in 24 hours?
    Do you need more help with how to wean?

I am also dealing with an auto-immune disease that I am trying to figure out how to manage while still breastfeeding. I know how difficult those decisions can be. You have done an amazing thing for your DD by nursing this long.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Weaning will be sad but give yourself big, big credit momma for 22 months of breastfeeding. Even with your hurdles your did a wonderful thing for you and your baby. Many mommas without illnesses don't get that far so give yourself a few minutes each day this week to stop and give yourself huge props!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

Amazing job mama. You have done so much for your bond and for your LO. I hope after you are done nursing that you will stick arond to help other mothers who are in a similar situation, you'd be an inspiration I'm sure.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    Amazing job mama. You have done so much for your bond and for your LO. I hope after you are done nursing that you will stick arond to help other mothers who are in a similar situation, you'd be an inspiration I'm sure.

I hope it goes smoothly for both of you.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Get yourself healthy for your baby, mama. My heart goes out to you. Congrats on BFing 22 months.

You've done terrific making it so far...you are a hero to your LO.
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your support. I will definitely stick around and will never stop helping other moms overcome challenges because it is so worth it!
    Mom to my precious Aelis
    -----------------------------------

You should be so proud of yourself! 22 Months is amazing! =)
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.