Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 mnth old has 2 breast feeds a day + solids - is that enough milk?

Default 9 mnth old has 2 breast feeds a day + solids - is that enough milk?

hi, i'm new here, i'm looking for advice - my nearly 9 month old baby girl is now only feeding mornings 6am left boob, 8am right boob and 7.30pm both boobs before bed. She has 3 solid meals a day plus snacks. Apparently babies main source of nutrition should be milk till they're one? Does that mean she should be breastfeeding more often? Or should i give her supplements? Plus, am i ok giving her cows/goats milk with her cereals for breakfast? (i can't express any more).

Default Re: 9 mnth old has 2 breast feeds a day + solids - is that enough milk?

Welcome!

It is true that until 1 year, breastmilk or formula should make up the majority of a baby's diet. For most babies, that means nursing every few hours during the day, and aiming for about 8 feedings per day (some babies will need more than this, some less). So if you go by that standard, then 2-3 feedings (depending on whether or not you count the a.m. feedings as 1 or 2 sessions) isn't enough.

So, what should you do? I would start by offering the breast before every meal or snack of solid food. That way the baby fills up on breastmilk instead of solids. If you can get to a point where your baby is nursing, say, 6-8 times a day, then there's no need to offer supplements. If she refuses to increase her nursing frequency, then I would give her formula, since that's your second-best option. In the US, moms are told to hold off on cow's and goat's milk until 1 year, because consuming them can lead to anemia. In a lot of European countries, moms are told that they can start babies on cow's or goat's milk at 9-10 months of age. But even if you did decide to use cow's/goat's milk, it wouldn't be as good as formula, since cow's/goat's milk doesn't approximate breastmilk as closely as formula does.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Different sources have different opinions on this. 8 times a day is no longer necessary for older babies. I've read elsewhere (Super Baby food diet..forgot the exact title of the book) that 3-4 times a day is enough for a 9 month old. So try to squeeze in formula or another nursing session mid-day. Good luck.

No cows milk until 1 year but you can mix fruit or vege with the cereal to make it taste better. They make baby cereal with fruit too and you can just add water. Have you done a yield at those feeding times with a pump to see how much you get? Around 20 oz is normal for a 9 month old. Do you offer water or juice in a sippy? Sometimes they fill up on that and dont want to nurse.

For a baby that's 9 months breastmilk should make up the majority of their food. There are not enough fats and calories or vitamins and minerals in solids to equal breastmilk.

6-12 feedings in a 24 hour period is better and in the normal range for a 9 month baby.

Try lots of skin to skin contact and offering the breast lots. If not you'll have to supplement with formula.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

I just wanted to say, the amount of milk you get pumping is no indicator of how much milk a baby can get out. As a baby is much more efficient then any pump on the market.

I just want to put that out there, cause some mom's think cause they can't pump milk, or enough milk they don't have milk, or enough milk. When that is not the case at all.

There's lots of factors that make how much you get with a pump not a indicator in the least of what a actual baby can get from your breast.

My 9 mth old will only nurse 3 times a day, I would do more but she refuses. So we give her breast milk in a straw cup at lunch and dinner, she still doesn't eat breakfast. She usually takes about 6 oz total from the cup per day. While I wish she would nurse more, she just won't unless she is falling asleep due to severe reflux. We still don't feed her breakfast and she nurses at 10, 2, and 8. She is over 22 lbs so I think she is getting enough milk. We also give yogurt and cottage cheese at meals to help. 8 times a day sounds like way too much, even DD1 who loved to nurse, only nursed 6 times in a day at this age.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

*I* too would try to get in more nursing sessions.

FWIW, my 10.5mo still nurses 8-10 times/24hr.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irismom View Post
    *I* too would try to get in more nursing sessions.

FWIW, my 10.5mo still nurses 8-10 times/24hr.
    My almost 18 month old will still nurse 8 to 10 times a day if I am home.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmom View Post
    My almost 18 month old will still nurse 8 to 10 times a day if I am home.
    My 22 month old did as well until my milk started going away when pregnant. Now we are down to 6 or 8 times a day.

They are all different.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months