Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TriViSol drops

Default Re: TriViSol drops

Interesting! Good to know! Thanks LLL Karen.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I didn't give any supplements. I tried the trivisol but I couldn't stand the smell, I wouldn't even taste them myself and DD wouldn't take them. I probably would do just Vit D though if I had to do it again. I didn't start giving vitamins until DD was one and could chew them up. Now she asks me for them.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

We're not fair-skinned (Asian) and were living in the Pacific Northwest fall through spring (DD was born in October) so barely got ANY sunshine all those months. So yes we gave DD one drop of Carlson (sp?) vit D everyday. We're spending the summer in sunny California so I try to expose her to the sun every day. She plays with diaper only on for up to 20mins/day and I take her out on walks (wearing her in my Ergo) once-twice a day, up to 30mins each time, when only her face and limbs are exposed. We still give the vit D drops but only once every few days. Hopefully she gets enough vit D made AND stored since we're moving (again ) to a much colder area in September and I doubt if she's going to get much sunshine then .

Oh my baby doesn't have any problem taking the Carlson drops. We give them directly to her (not put on my nip). I do also try to get enough vit D myself by taking supplement and sun exposure. I guess we need to work harder since we're not Caucasian.
    Last edited by @llli*irismom; August 6th, 2010 at 12:19 AM.

My pedi recommended "My Kids Iron." It is more expensive, but has a better taste. CVS has it but you have to ask the pharmacist.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    LLL's statement on vitamin D supplementation is here. Basically, it suggests nursing mothers have their own vitamin D levels tested. If you have enough vitamin D, you may not need to supplement your baby. If your levels are low, you could consider the supplements, or else take supplements yourself to raise your own levels (probably a good idea in any case! ).
    I asked Levi's ped awhile back if I took vit D supplements myself (which I was doing religiously at the time) if it would raise the levels in my milk, and she said no. I think she just didn't know the answer so just made something up rather than saying she didn't know.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I don't give DS any supplements. I do take a multivitamin for myself that has extra vit D (1,000 IU) and we try to get outside every day. I put sunscreen on him only if we will be out for an extended time like a cookout, hiking, swimming, etc. We are fair skinned and live in a sunny climate. I trust that especially if I am not deficient in anything, then my body will make what DS needs. I figure that once he is eating a larger percentage of solids, I will give him his own supplements. For now though, he is still 95% BF at 8 months anyway.
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:
    Z, my land-lubber born 11/09
    Nursed for 22 months, 18 of those with a tongue and lip tie
    Allergies to peanuts and tree nuts

E, my water baby born 05/12
    Currently nursing through the aftermath of a tongue and lip tie revision, still trying to work it out

We , , and !

We bought TriViSol last week, but we haven't had a chance to feed him until yesterday. I actually thought smell was not as bad as some claimed here (maybe because I like Cherry, Grape and Dr. Pepper) Anyway, as stated here, it is really important for infants and all babies to get enough vitamin D in their system.

The bottom line is this, would you rather have the increased risk for infections, autoimmune diseases, cancer, diabetes, and osteoporosis or just pay $8 every two months or so and cover those risks, weather useful or not. As far as I know, the unnecessary vitamins are passed through bowel movement anyway and whatever is needed is absorbed. If one can manage to mix it with breastmilk in bottle, I really doubt that a baby would notice 1ml of vitamins in 80-90ml bottle (2.5 oz)

Since mom is continuing to take prenatals, I don't think we needed TriViSol, but DVisol would have been enough. Anyway, we decided not to gamble and will be supplementing our baby with Tri-Vi-Sol or D-Visol.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*starfish54 View Post
    We bought TriViSol last week, but we haven't had a chance to feed him until yesterday. I actually thought smell was not as bad as some claimed here (maybe because I like Cherry, Grape and Dr. Pepper) Anyway, as stated here, it is really important for infants and all babies to get enough vitamin D in their system.

The bottom line is this, would you rather have the increased risk for infections, autoimmune diseases, cancer, diabetes, and osteoporosis or just pay $8 every two months or so and cover those risks, weather useful or not. As far as I know, the unnecessary vitamins are passed through bowel movement anyway and whatever is needed is absorbed. If one can manage to mix it with breastmilk in bottle, I really doubt that a baby would notice 1ml of vitamins in 80-90ml bottle (2.5 oz)

Since mom is continuing to take prenatals, I don't think we needed TriViSol, but DVisol would have been enough. Anyway, we decided not to gamble and will be supplementing our baby with Tri-Vi-Sol or D-Visol.
    Did you look at supplementing with the "vitamin D only" supplements as suggested above, such as Carlson's Baby D drops? That is what we use, and it is just 1 tiny drop of liquid, once per day... We tried giving poly-vi-sol to our son when he was a newborn, and he hated it... so we switched to the Carlson's baby D drops and they are great. It is only about $13 for a bottle, which lasts for a whole year!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

If our little one starts hating it, I will try Carson, but we already bought this bottle and would prefer if he can finish it. After this one I will take your suggestion, although I am not sure why there is such a huge difference in dosage & cost!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    Did you look at supplementing with the "vitamin D only" supplements as suggested above, such as Carlson's Baby D drops? That is what we use, and it is just 1 tiny drop of liquid, once per day... We tried giving poly-vi-sol to our son when he was a newborn, and he hated it... so we switched to the Carlson's baby D drops and they are great. It is only about $13 for a bottle, which lasts for a whole year!

I give our LO the tri vi sol 2x a week. I'm going to get the carlson's just because i don't think he needs the other vits. Thanks for that Buff! I guess my LO is in the minority though - he looks at the tri vi sol dropper and opens wide. He smiles when he swallows it and reaches for more. Little monkey will eat ANYTHING.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it