Does everyone have to give these to their babies? I cannot get LO to take them. She pushes the stuff out of her mouth when I drip it in, even if I go slow, put it at the back of her mouth, etc.
To be honest, I'm a little put out about having to try, when she clearly hates it (and given the taste I don't blame her). I though BM was the "perfect food", so am unclear on why she needs this supplement. I have researched and it seems that:
1. the main issue is Vit D, which is only present in BM in low levels.
2. Lack of Vit causes bone growth problems and even rickets.
3. Vit D is produced naturally in the skin with exposure to sun (w/o sunscreen).
4. Babies these days don't get much of #3, but apparently it doesn't take much.
5. Only very dark skinned BF babies have gotten rickets from lack of Vit D.
6. The Vit D that IS present in BM is much better absorbed than the Vit D present in formula, and with 1-3 minutes sun exposure a day should be enough, especially if mom is getting/making enough Vit D.
Does anyone here have any insight? Do all of you feed the drops? If so, how do you get your babies to take them?
Thanks in advance, mommas!