Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TriViSol drops

Question TriViSol drops

Does everyone have to give these to their babies? I cannot get LO to take them. She pushes the stuff out of her mouth when I drip it in, even if I go slow, put it at the back of her mouth, etc.

To be honest, I'm a little put out about having to try, when she clearly hates it (and given the taste I don't blame her). I though BM was the "perfect food", so am unclear on why she needs this supplement. I have researched and it seems that:

1. the main issue is Vit D, which is only present in BM in low levels.
    2. Lack of Vit causes bone growth problems and even rickets.
    3. Vit D is produced naturally in the skin with exposure to sun (w/o sunscreen).
    4. Babies these days don't get much of #3, but apparently it doesn't take much.
    5. Only very dark skinned BF babies have gotten rickets from lack of Vit D.
    6. The Vit D that IS present in BM is much better absorbed than the Vit D present in formula, and with 1-3 minutes sun exposure a day should be enough, especially if mom is getting/making enough Vit D.

Does anyone here have any insight? Do all of you feed the drops? If so, how do you get your babies to take them?

Thanks in advance, mommas!
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Default Re: TriViSol drops

I agree that the TriViSol or PolyViSol drops are nasty! I now use Carlson's Vitamin D drops. One drop on your nipple daily before LO nurses. Easy and no yucky taste or stains.

i do give them. My little guy gets just about zero direct sunlight because i worry about exposure... i haven't had my own levels tested or his though...
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

The issue is most people are Vit D deficient. I take 5000iu a day and don't supplement LO. Some of the other moms here may have more info for you.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mountainmommy View Post
    I agree that the TriViSol or PolyViSol drops are nasty! I now use Carlson's Vitamin D drops. One drop on your nipple daily before LO nurses. Easy and no yucky taste or stains.
    My pedi recommended the polyvisol, and I did try giving it to my son when he was a teeny, tiny infant... and even then he hated it and kept gagging on it and spitting it out! So I couldn't imagine trying to force him to take it when he was older. So we also switched to the Carlson's baby vitamin D drops. It is 1 tiny drop of liquid per day, and sooooo much easier than the trivisol or polyvisol. I got mine off Amazon.com, I seem to recall it was around $13 for 1 bottle, which is 1 year's supply.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Don't take my word for it, but I have never given Joe any supplements of any kind. We are fair skinned people living in a very sunny part of the world. When we are in the back yard soaking up a little sunshine, I do not use sunblock on Joe (I do use sunblock when he will have sustained exposure, but I give him 10-15 minutes a day of sunshine with no sunblock).

Rickets is extremely uncommon except in darker skinned children living in higher latitudes. It was very common in 19th Century England, for example, because so many children got so little exposure to sunlight (because of all of that coal smoke and fog!).

If I were person of color living in the Pacific Northwest, my calculations would be very different, but I highly doubt that my fair-skinned, half Irish baby living in California is going to suffer from Vitamin D deficiency. Again, don't take it from me. Use common sense.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

This is a tricky sticky issue. I can tell you that I did not give vitamins of any kind to my 5 EB children. They are all now fully grown and healthy as can be. BUT I am fair skinned, I was out in the day light every day I took my children out in the day light every day. I read that if a mother is concerned about vitamins she should take them herself. Breastmilk is human milk designed for human babies. I do believe that nature/ evolution works in our favor. Again if you are concerned about low levels then take your vitamins and trust your body to produce what your baby needs. But if your doctor has specifically said that your baby needs the vitamin drops then do not go against your doctors instructions with out discussing it with him first. I do not know you or your baby personally and perhaps your doctor has good reason to suggest that your baby needs extra vitamins.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Don't take my word for it, but I have never given Joe any supplements of any kind. We are fair skinned people living in a very sunny part of the world. When we are in the back yard soaking up a little sunshine, I do not use sunblock on Joe (I do use sunblock when he will have sustained exposure, but I give him 10-15 minutes a day of sunshine with no sunblock).

If I were person of color living in the Pacific Northwest, my calculations would be very different, but I highly doubt that my fair-skinned, half Irish baby living in California is going to suffer from Vitamin D deficiency. Again, don't take it from me. Use common sense.
    Ok, this makes me feel better, b/c to be honest I really haven't pressed them on her as much as I should if she desperately needed them. I am also about as fair skinned as a person can be and also live in sunny California. I take her on short walks with the dog (head/face covered) each day w/ no sunscreen as this seems healthy and natural to me. I also take a Vit D supplement but only the RDA (400 IU), plus whatever I get in food/fortified milk/sun exposure.

Esthervegan, my dr. does recommend but it is Kaiser - they recommend to *everyone* and do not individualize on stuff like this. They also say no co-sleeping, which rec. I have been going against after doing my own research! On a good note they are very pro-BF.

I really hate shoving this syrupy/cough medicine-stuff down her throat and on a gut level feel like it's not needed in our case. But for safety sake I may use the Carson's - that is a really great suggestion. Thank you as always for the great info and opinions everyone - I can see why this is a tricky issue.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

So, we had a rickets scare with DS so take this for what it is worth. But almost no one in the western world gets enough vit D. No matter skin colour or where they live. I have the world palest (non-albino) children and they still don't get anywhere near enough without supplements. You will find some posts from me when DS was young that sound very much like joe.s.mom but after doing a LOT of research I changed my mind. We don't use high amounts of vit D in our family though.

I cannot take my kids out without sun scream for 15 mins (even here in the PNW) because they burn so quickly (DD caught the sun last weekend with total cloud cover). I started using a one drop vit D supplement and am transitioning to drops (from a dropper) as she is starting to prefer them.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

LLL's statement on vitamin D supplementation is here. Basically, it suggests nursing mothers have their own vitamin D levels tested. If you have enough vitamin D, you may not need to supplement your baby. If your levels are low, you could consider the supplements, or else take supplements yourself to raise your own levels (probably a good idea in any case! ).
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--