Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nursing positions for bigger toddlers

Default Nursing positions for bigger toddlers

We've been having latch problems lately (teeth marks, etc.) and I think at least part of the problem is that the positions we've used until now aren't working because DD is getting taller--e.g., we can't do the cradle hold anymore, because her head would be pointing down toward her chin. She clamps down a lot if we nurse lying down, so that's no good for us either. Today, I kept adjusting her as she was nursing, but I just can't find a comfortable position. What are other moms with longer toddlers doing?

Default Re: Nursing positions for bigger toddlers

my ds is a fan of sitting next to me on the couch and he leans over nurses that way So I'm sitting with one breast out, he's sitting next to me, I turn my body slightly and he latches that way. If that makes sense That's his favourite and that's the way most of his nursing sessions go. He's 28 months.

He also does a lot of drive by's where he stands on the floor while I'm sitting in a chair. Or if I'm laying on the couch, he stands on the floor.

Sometimes I sit cross-legged on the couch and he just stretches out in my lap and nurses. I don't actually hold him though.

ETA: and when we lay down to nurse, I lay on my back and he places his head kind of just above my arm pit, with my arm around him, keeping him up off the bed, and he nurses that way. And I just slightly turn my shoulder sometimes if he needs it.
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; July 23rd, 2010 at 07:19 AM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

DD usually nurses laying on top of me or next to me. Sometimes sitting down facing me or next to me watching TV Sometimes standing up. Possibilities are endless
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

try pillows for support...

Sorry, I forgot to clarify that these days, we only nurse right before a nap or bedtime, so she's half asleep and I'm supporting most of her weight in my arms. And I read on Kellymom that if you're experiencing the teeth-scraping problem, you shouldn't try positions that would put the toddler's weight against your breast--i.e., lying on top of you or leaning down into you

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sobamom View Post
    Sorry, I forgot to clarify that these days, we only nurse right before a nap or bedtime, so she's half asleep and I'm supporting most of her weight in my arms. And I read on Kellymom that if you're experiencing the teeth-scraping problem, you shouldn't try positions that would put the toddler's weight against your breast--i.e., lying on top of you or leaning down into you
    hmmm, maybe try laying down with your arm under her shoulders/neck/head so that she's higher than your breast? With you laying on your back, slightly on your side? Maybe ....
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    hmmm, maybe try laying down with your arm under her shoulders/neck/head so that she's higher than your breast? With you laying on your back, slightly on your side? Maybe ....
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I don't even know if I could explain some of our positions. LOL

We do a lot of nursing like described above with me on my back but just slightly tilted to the side with his head rested on my arm. I sleep with 3 pillows to support me while he acrobat nurses through the night. he straddles me and nurses quite often too. I wear him in a sling a lot in the hip carry and slide him down to nurse. He can fall asleep that way. The cradle hold is not like it used to be but I'm supporting his weight with my legs instead of my arms. He also does drive bys when I'm laying down on the couch.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

I use a pillow for support because my 28 pound little guy still wants to nurse like a baby.. he always says baby to me LOL.. but we have nursed sitting next to me and I just lean in a little also sitting on my lap facing me is one of his fav.. he always laughs when he eats this way..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

I was having some big time comfort issues while trying to nurse in the rocking chair in her room, too. I started nursing DD before going upstairs for nap/bedtime and it really seemed to help. That way, I can just rock her in the chair in any comfortable position since she isn't nursing. I also folded up a quilt on her floor so I can lay on my back there and she can lay on top an nurse. HTH
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).