Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this OLAD?

Question Is this OLAD?

My DH gave our baby a bottle this afteenoon while I was napping. I woke up leaking and engorged just before her next feeding. It had been 4 hrs since I nursed. I wanted to pump a little to relieve the pressure so I hooked up my pump. Just after I started pumping the phone rang and I turned off the pump for a moment to answer it. When I went to turn it back on I noticed that I did not need to turn it on - I was still spraying out milk. I waited to see how long I would spray and it was over a minute. Is this OLAD (and woudl it explain my LOs gas)?
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: Is this OLAD?

Unless it happens all the time I'd say it was just because you were engorged.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

It could be OALD... but here's another thought... since your baby was just born 2 weeks ago it is more likely that your supply is still on "overdrive" and not regulated yet. And since you had *just* turned on the pump, your milk was probably just letting down at the moment you had to turn the pump off, and so it was really spraying out a lot.

One other thought...I know you didn't ask about this, but be careful giving your 2 week old very many bottles at this young age. I know your DH was probably just trying to help you get some rest by giving baby a bottle while you napped, but baby could develop a bottle preference if given too many bottles so young.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Sounds like it! I spray like that still sometimes. There are a few things you can do...

Take LO off the breast and let it spray onto a burp cloth or something like that

Nurse while reclined (if that makes sense)

Block feed (one side for a certain number of hours then switch)

hand express a little before a feeding

I always block fed and reclined with my boys. Sometimes I would let the milk spray onto a cloth but when LO gets older they kind of learn how to handle it and maybe enjoy it. The bad thing (other than the obvious) is you cant always tell if you are having problems like tongue tie or bad latch because your body gives the milk to your LO instead of your LO taking the milk. That was the reason DS3's tongue wasn't clipped until he was 8 weeks old.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Thanks to both of you!

I am doing the nursing while reclining and that seems to help along with letting my breast spray into a cloth if she starts to gag. I had not realized it was too much milk that was causing her occational gag until now.

As for bottles, yes, thanks for the reminder. She had some time in NICU so bottles were introduced very early to regulate her intake (spoon and cup were not getting enough in). She is nursing well now and we are limiting it to 1 bottle a night if any at all. ;-)
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Hang in there!! I had so much milk at first that is was driving my crazy...there is a learning curve with OALD but the reward is that at 7 months I don't leak everywhere anymore but I can still pump off a bottle if need be.
    We are blessed....good luck with everything