Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help

Default Help please...at wit's end...

My DS is now 1 year old, and we're still going strong on nursing. About 3 weeks ago though, I ended up having a plugged duct that I caught before it morphed into anything worse. I proceeded to have a sore nipple and sore breast for a few days. The soreness went away on my breast, but then I got a milk blister on my nipple. It "popped" last week, and after dealing with a fever and not feeling as good, there was FINALLY no pain at all when nursing on that side, just some breast soreness. Well, the soreness is still there (3-4 days later), and I think I have another milk blister (ARGH!) Any advice on how to get ride of it and the soreness as well? Could I have a breast infection?
    Last edited by @llli*imawbug; August 4th, 2010 at 07:00 PM.

Default Re: Help

mastitis is definitly a possiblity especially if you were having a fever. i would go get checked out by the doc just to be sure.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Sometimes mastitis can clear up on it's own and sometimes not. If you were having a fever I think it may have been mastitis. The thing is though that if you still have the lingering infection you can get sick and spike a fever again and again so see a doc and try to get on antibiotics if you can b/c that will nip it in the bud. Otherwise you'll keep getting a reoccurance (says the momma who has had mastitis 10 times and 9 of them were reoccuring and I didn't take antibiotics I didn't know better at the time).
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

I had mastitis once and the fever and body aches were worse than the flu. Miserable! I didn't take antibiotics but mine cleared up within 24 hours. I literally laid in bed and offered LO the breast as much as possible.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton