Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! OALD/OS & Clogged Ducts & Pumping!

Default Help! OALD/OS & Clogged Ducts & Pumping!

My LO is 5 1/2 weeks now and he is doing great with bf'ing. His latch has always been good he is gaining well and making plenty of wet/poopy diapers. I on the other hand am still struggling with oald/os and clogged ducts. I feel totally discouraged about this, as the oald/os has been there since the beginning and the clogged ducts for the past 3 weeks. I feel like if I didn't have these problems, I would be SO much more confident with bf'ing. The oald/os is only one 1 side, which is of course where the clogged ducts are too. My LO has gotten much better at managing that side, he doesn't cough/sputter/pull away nearly as often as he used to. Usually just when I am really full. I started taking lethecin a week ago, but don't feel like it has helped. Does it take awhile to work? I'm taking 1200 mg three times a day.
    My new problem is that my DH and I wanted to start trying a bottle. We have a road trip/wedding coming up and I won't be able to be with my LO all the time when he needs nursing. Therefore, a bottle. So we introduced the bottle on sat. and he took it really well. I had been pumping only once every morning on one breast to start stocking up for back to work. I am so confused about this pumping stuff. I don't know why, but I find it totally overwhelming and confusing! I understand that when we offer a bottle, I need to pump so that my body knows to still make that milk. Am I making my oald/os/clogged ducts worse when I pump both breasts for 10-15 minutes to make up for the bottle? We did a bottle both weekend days, and I pumped both days. Now today, I feel like I've taken a step backwards, and the clogged duct side feels worse!! (It was starting to feel more controlled late last week) And on top of that, this morning I felt like I was starting to get a clogged duct on the other side!! That has gone away throughout the day. I just don't know what to do to control this. It is so frustrating. I've read about block feeding, but I don't really understand it that well. I think I'm probably doing it somewhat, but not sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. There are days when I feel like I don't know if I can't keep doing this!!! I'm usually a confident person, but breastfeeding has totally thrown me for a loop.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Help! OALD/OS & Clogged Ducts & Pumping!

These links have some more info about clogged ducts, and block feeding.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    as for the pumping some women are really sensetive to pumping. try to just pump the amount that you are going to need for a bottle and try to pump about what your LO would eat (I know that is hard to judge but try based on the feel of your breasts). I would try to nurse as much as possible when you are on your trip instead of pumping. How long do you think you will be away from your LO when he will get a bottle? how many times?
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Default Re: Help! OALD/OS & Clogged Ducts & Pumping!

Thanks for the links. I do plan to BF as much as possible while traveling. I really am not sure how long I will be away. I'm part of a wedding and have to spend time getting ready with the bridal party. I may or may not be able to be near my LO, not sure how it's going to play out yet. I don't plan on missing more than 1 nursing, so just one bottle a day is what will probably end up happening. I will try just pumping 3-4 oz, instead of emptying both breasts. That makes more sense.