Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby on and off

Question Baby on and off

During some of our feedings, Kaitlyn is on and off of my breast. I am not sure if she is not hungry or just distracted but it happens in many diffrent places including the bedroom, which is dark and quite. I am starting to get concerned since she will sometimes go really long periods w/o eating by doing this. I usually stop feeding her after about a min of her doing this. Whats going on?Maryanne
    Last edited by Mikina; October 10th, 2006 at 09:45 AM. Reason: fixing

Default Re: Baby on and off

How old is your little one? How has her diaper output (number os wet diapers per day) and weight gain been?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

How old is your baby? When she does this, does she seem upset? Does she get upset when you stop the nursing session? How are her wet/dirty diapers? Weight gain? Ok, that was a lot of questions, but there could a number of reasons this is occurring. My son did this a lot for awhile when he was a newborn (I think between about one and four months). I never did figure out exactly what it was, but I had several theories. In the end, he just seemed to outgrow whatever it was and didn't do it anymore. Give us some more information and maybe someone will have some good advice.

Kaitlyn is 4 months old tomorrow. She doesn't seem upset nor does she seem necessarily board. She starts looking around in some cases and in others, she just is on and off but looking right at my breast. Her wet diapers are consistent at around 5-6 a day with 2-3 dirty ones mixed in. Her weight gain seems steady she is probably 14 lbs by now (will know for sure tomorrow). I am sort of thinking that maybe I am trying to feed her too much since at time she is still eating every 2 hrs during the day but more and more of these sessions are occurring. We have also been having major sleeping issues including massive night waking (between 3-10 a night) and refusal to go to sleep at night. Don't know if either of these things is related, but I thought I would throw them in.Maryanne

4 months old is the age when they begin to discover the world! Get a nursing necklace before the pinching and hairpulling begins!!!

What is that? Too late on the hair pulling etc.

Necklaces that are speciifcally designed to engage your baby and heep them focused Right here. And when they get old enough to pinch and pull it gives them something to playw/ while eating besides you. PM if you want me to send you the info on where I bought mine!

You also may find this helpful:

The Distractible Baby

I think I may remember someone already posting this link for you, but just in case ... it's an excellent article that really helped us out when our little one was four or five months old. Her sleeping and eating patterns went awry and we didn't know what the heck was going on. ... Wakeful 4 Month Olds by Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
    Hope something in there helps!!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon