Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still too much milk at 4 months :(

Default Still too much milk at 4 months :(

OK, this is more of a rant then anything else, but I would so welcome any suggestions...
    My kiddo is a great sleeper. He sleeps for 8-10 hrs at night. Its been his pattern for a long while now, at least 2 months.

Its 3 AM, he is going to be asleep for another 2-4 hrs, and here I am UP PUMPING because I cannot sleep it hurts so bad.

I just pumped 9 oz. In 10 min. I don't pump between feedings, I wait until its absolutely unbearable at night before pumping. What can I do???? This is ridiculous...
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

Default Re: Still too much milk at 4 months :(

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elesha View Post
    OK, this is more of a rant then anything else, but I would so welcome any suggestions...
    My kiddo is a great sleeper. He sleeps for 8-10 hrs at night. Its been his pattern for a long while now, at least 2 months.

Its 3 AM, he is going to be asleep for another 2-4 hrs, and here I am UP PUMPING because I cannot sleep it hurts so bad.

I just pumped 9 oz. In 10 min. I don't pump between feedings, I wait until its absolutely unbearable at night before pumping. What can I do???? This is ridiculous...
    My DD used to sleep really well, then at 4 mths decided that was enough and is still waking up frequently through the night at 15 mths.
    My first suggestion is to stop pumping because that just tells your body to keep making what it's making. If you're full/engorged just manually express until you get relief and no more. 9 oz is a lot especially when your son isn't eating/needing it at that time of day.
    If you don't get enough relief by manually expressing, you can pump a little bit but just until you get relief. It might take a while for your body to adjust to not making that amount over night and realize that your son isn't needing it, but it'll adjust.
    I used wake my DD up every 2 hrs to feed (as a newborn) because breast milk digests really fast, in about 90 min. for their small tummies. Some say don't let them go that long between feedings, while others say let them sleep. *I* personally used to wake my DD every 2hrs. Every now and then she'd nap for 4hrs, but I didn't let her go more than that. It depends on how old your son is.
    Hang in there mama. It'll get better.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Oh, my...
    Here I am. Again.
    5.5 months. Woke up at 4 AM with our bed soaked in milk and in serious pain.
    Kai won't wake up until about 8. So just had to pump.
    Pumped for 5 min, just until I stopped feeling the pain.
    I got 6.5 oz
    WTH? Why am I making so much milk???????
    This is exhausting... I have 17 liters of milk in the freezer....

I broke my foot this week, too - heel on my shoe broke as I was walking through the train and I ended up with 2 broken bones in my foot and 2 broken toes. I think I am having issues with my calcium, too.

This is exhausting... Thinking that I have at least another 6 months of this and possibly more is very depressing...
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

I can sympathize, but I don't have any answers. I'm not making as much as you are, but we have hundreds of ounces in the freezer, and I wake up in pain frequently.

Are you using a manual pump or an electric? If electric, could you possibly use a manual pump and pump only one side at a time? Since the extra nipple-stimulation from using a double pump can cause your body to make more milk, maybe single pumping will help. And since an electric is more efficient, maybe a manual pump or hand expressing will slow it down.

Alexis, a mama to Conor, 4/29/10