Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Diet affecting taste of milk

Default Diet affecting taste of milk

Does anyone know how long it takes between when you eat something spicy/gassy and when your milk tastes like what you ate? Or generally how long it takes food to get into your milk supply? I am keeping track of my diet to see what foods are causing my baby to be especially gassy or urpy, and sometimes think that something that I ate is causing my baby to get a tummy ache just a few hours after I ate it. Could it be affecting her that fast?

Thanks!

Default Re: Diet affecting taste of milk

hi there...
    unfortunately, i don't think that there is a clear-cut answer to your question. the following link states:
    I can't tell you exactly how long it takes for the food you eat to affect your breastmilk, because there are so many variables involved, including how often you nurse, the type of food you eat, and your individual body chemistry and metabolism. An average (and this is only an average) is about 4-6 hours, but it can reach your milk as soon as one hour or take as long as twenty-four hours.
    Breastfeeding Basics

the following links might be helpful to you, too:
    How does a mother's diet affect her milk?

Can a nursing mother eat this food? FAQs

HTH!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Default Re: Diet affecting taste of milk

I found this article on the "Ask Anne" website that says it generally takes about 4-6 hours, but there are a lot of variables involved.
    HTH!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on