Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: flu shot

Default flu shot

Is it ok for a nursing mother to get the flu shot. my son is 11 weeks. also if i needed to contact a doctor for any reason concerning breastfeeding do i call my OB? Thank you,

Default Re: flu shot

I would assume that it is OK because my pediatrician wants both me and my hubby to get one since baby can't.

I'm not sure about contacting your OB. Where I live there is a lactation consultant at the hospital that I can call and talk to if I have questions, so you may want to look into that.

As far as I know, it is safe for a nursing mom to get a flu shot. I got one last fall while I was nursing, on tha advice of both my OB and my childrens' pediatrician, and I plan to get one this fall also. Actually, it is my understanding that the flu shot is especially indicated for parents of infants in order to protect the infants from the flu, since they are at a high risk of complications if they contract the illness.
    I also think it would be a good idea to find out if your hospital or clinic has a lactation consultant (LC) for BFing questions. You can ask your OB, but he or she most likely does not have expertise in that area. You could ask your OB for a LC recommendation.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I am RUNNING to get my free flu shot at the hopital!!! I had the flu at 7 mo preggers and I swear I thought I was going to die!! They're predciting this year is going to be BAD because the past couple of winters has been pretty mild.

Same here i am getting mine on friday. We were told at my daughters last visit to go and get it and also get my son it also and he is 3. I heard it was gonna be a bad flu season also so becarefull all.