Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! My 8 month old suddenly won't nurse

Question Help! My 8 month old suddenly won't nurse

Help! My 8 month old has dramatically stopped nursing. It started about 3 days ago when she dropped 2 of her nursings and then this morning she would only feed once at 4am. Each time I put her to the breast she pushes it away and all day now she wont nurse The only thing that has changed is that I have now added a morning solid feeding. Up until then she was only eating two meals a day and then nursing 6-7 times a day. She became a bit more fussy in the morning and was reaching out to our food so I started feeding her cereal in the morning. For the past 3 days she has now been getting cereal in the morning, a vegetable in the afternoon and cereal in the evening with a vegetable. I started pumping today when she would usually be nursing so I wouldn't loose my supply and tried giving it to her out of a cup but whe wasn't too interested (she only took a few sips). I'm really at a loss here. I'm concerned that she will give it up altogether. And I'm not sure how often I should be giving her solids and how often I should be nursing her at this age. I just find it strange that in 3 days she has gone from 6-7 nursing down to 4 nursings down to 1 nursing. Help me someone please!!!

Default Re: Help! My 8 month old suddenly won't nurse

I'm sorry.

It sounds like a nursing strike. You can find more information here:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/strike.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBstrikes.html

Maybe try nursing her when she's asleep or very, very sleepy, and enjoy lots of skin to skin contact as much as possible. Also, check for any medical reason for the strike (ear ache, teething, ect).

It may help to know that nursing strikes don't usually last very long.

Just wanted to post my sympathy and encouragment. You are wise to pump while she is on this nursing strike, so that when she comes back around you'll have milk for her. Read the links and persevere, okay?

--Rebecca

Thank you so much both of you for your support. I did finally get her to nurse last night at bedtime and then again at 1am but then once again this morning she won't nurse again. It almost seems that she is so interested in what is going on around the house because now she is crawling. We'll see how today goes.

thanks again

Smile Re: Help! My 8 month old suddenly won't nurse

Just wanted to update - yesterday was much better and she did nurse 5x like usual so much better. Then this morning she nursed again like her usual self. So I think the strike is over, thank goodness. Thanks again to the two that replied.

That's great news! Thanks for the happy update, and keep up the good work.

--Rebecca