Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation after ~8 weeks--baby is 7 months

Default Relactation after ~8 weeks--baby is 7 months

I posted in another spot and was directed to this forum...hope this helps.

Okay, daughter is 7 months tomorrow and when she was about 5 to 5.5 months old I got mastitis. I needed antibiotics for it (I got it with my first, but it corrected itself on its own), but it cleared up. i was in so much pain and couldn't even get out of bed...long story short, I don't have anymore milk. I was still pumping, but nothing was coming out. I went from producing to nothing in a 48 hour period. I was tried for a month of pumping, pumping, pumping, but no success. Then I started reading things about relactation and bought the blessed thistle, fenugreek (seed), and I believe alfalfa. I took those and was making droplets and eventual was making about a teaspoon. Then about a month ago my husband left (he's in the military) and I just was trying to readjust to being a single parent and quit pumping. Well for the past week I have been pulling my hair out to try to figure out what to do and how to get back to BF. I BF my oldest for 14 months and had zero issues (besides the bout of mastitis that cleared up), so this is frusterating for me. I have ordered more feungreek, milk tea something, and another thing which will be arriving today. I was doing the power pumping thing that I read about once or twice for the day (I went from making about quarter teaspoon in the morning to nothing). I was still pumping even though nothing was coming out, so hopefully this is correct. I have tried to get LO to latch on and she is a hit or miss. If she did latch on, it would be a few sucks then she would get mad.

Any and all info would be great. I am not done trying and will try to whatever I can to get back to it.

Thanks in advance.

NE PA

Default Re: Relactation after ~8 weeks--baby is 7 months

how often are you pumping? to regain supply you really need to pump about every 2 to 3 hours with maybe one longer over night session. I know that right now it doesn't seem like the pump is doing much but it is signaling your body to produce more milk. These links have some more info.

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )