Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Day 3 of no BFing to sleep

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Day 3 of no BFing to sleep

Hi all. I wrote an earlier post about trying to wean my 3 year old for the 3rd time. Fingers crossed, it's not going too badly. I am really hoping it will take this time because I'm having physical problems associated with lactation and I've been BFing 18 months longer than I wanted to! So finally, I put myself first, which doesn't feel great both emotionally and physically but as my LO is not reacting too badly, I'm not beating myself up too much.

But here's my question. I don't have a pump and even though I don't think I make a lot of milk (we usually only BF 1-2 times a day and not for a long time), I am feeling very tight in my chest, naturally.

Anyone know how long it takes for milk to dry up?

Thanks for any info you can give...

Default Re: Day 3 of no BFing to sleep

I'm sure it varies, but probably a few weeks. Some moms will be able to express a little milk for months or years after weaning, but the discomfort shouldn't last too long. There are some ideas in this article and this one about how to deal with the physical side of weaning.

I hope it's still going okay.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thanks, Karen. It's been a full week so far and I'm not feeling as full but I'm in a terrible mood. It does feel like hormones crashing. I try my best to be pleasant but I want to scream at people when they speak to me. Ugh. I guess this may last a couple weeks.

Thankfully, my daughter doesn't seem to notice much is happening. She has asked for BFing once in 7 days and didn't keep asking once I said no.

I am sad about losing this bond but I am hopefully that I'll have a lot more energy, a lot less muscle pain and can finally take all those medical procedures that my doctors wouldn't give me until I stopped BFing.

Don't worry dera.. you have taken a very good decision.. even if it hurts you.. the pain will not last longer.. and both you and your gal will be soon out of this situation!!

Thank you for the support! It's been 2 weeks exactly. I still feel full and somewhat crabby/weepy but overall, it's not too bad.

I haven't felt less pain/weakness in my muscles yet. I'm still taking my calcium pills and treating myself as though I'm still BFing - lots of water, etc.

I'm now worrying that with her starting nursery school, she won't have the BF health advantage. She has been in toddler classes but her nursery school class will be larger, hence more germs. I hope this is the right decision. It definitely is for me, but for her? Ack.