Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK so you talk about weaning from a paci,,,,

Default OK so you talk about weaning from a paci,,,,

but what about from finger sucking. I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of to get dd (7y) to stop sucking her two fingers. NOTHING is working and it's driving me crazy. Our ds is almost 4y and hasn't had a paci since he was 2y so I am at a loss with dd. Any advice????
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

Default Re: OK so you talk about weaning from a paci,,,,

Not much advice, except to say my 6.5YO niece still sucks her two fingers. I think that is usually one that they learn on their own not to do, at least not in front of people.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Is it in front of people during the day, or does she do it at night when sleeping?

If its at night when sleeping, there really isn't much you can do. But if its during the day, my BFF was able to get her daughter to stop sucking her fingers by putting a sock on her hand. From the moment she woke up in the morning until she went to bed at night she wore the sock. It took about 8wks of consistently wearing it all day every day, but she finally quit.

Good luck
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I've heard of the same sock trick for night too...if the sock is still on in the morning they can have a prize or something

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Hmmm she does it off and on during the day but not at school(starts here the 13th of Aug) She also does it at night. Wonder if I could get her to wear a sock when at home and in the van.....
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

Can I ask you to think about why you want her to stop?

I sucked my thumb until I was 12 or 13. I stopped doing it at school at an early age. For a while only did it aournd family or close friends. Eventually only at night alone. And eventually around 12 or 13 I stopped. All on my own.

A lot of people when I say that I did it that long. They don't want their child to suck their thumb that long. But why? What's wrong with a little self-comfort?

My teeth are perfectly straight. I have never had braces. My thumbs are not abnormally shaped or calloused. I don't think I'm emotionally or psychologically harmed in anyway.

If you're worried about germs maybe you can focus on teaching her to wash her hands often?

If you really want her to stop then by all means try the sock. But *I* would have been embarrased, upset and frustrated to have been put through that. You don't need to tell me why you want her to stop. Just affirm to yourself that your reasons are worth the effort it will take to force her to do so.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

My DD (21 mos) sucks her lower lip. I can't put a sock on that, I suppose. I can already see it's messing up her teeth, and she sometimes gets a sore on her lip too. I pop it out sometimes, and she thinks that's funny because of the sound it makes. I'm not really sure what, if anything, to do about it either.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babylove View Post
    Can I ask you to think about why you want her to stop?

I sucked my thumb until I was 12 or 13. I stopped doing it at school at an early age. For a while only did it aournd family or close friends. Eventually only at night alone. And eventually around 12 or 13 I stopped. All on my own.

A lot of people when I say that I did it that long. They don't want their child to suck their thumb that long. But why? What's wrong with a little self-comfort?

My teeth are perfectly straight. I have never had braces. My thumbs are not abnormally shaped or calloused. I don't think I'm emotionally or psychologically harmed in anyway.

If you're worried about germs maybe you can focus on teaching her to wash her hands often?

If you really want her to stop then by all means try the sock. But *I* would have been embarrased, upset and frustrated to have been put through that. You don't need to tell me why you want her to stop. Just affirm to yourself that your reasons are worth the effort it will take to force her to do so.
    This is what I was coming in to ask.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

DH sucked his thumb until he was 12 yo and his teeth are perfectly straight with no braces. Some kids just need the security. I wouldn't worry about it right now. My cousin is in her mid 30's and she still sucks her thumb (and isn't ashamed to admit it either ) She also didn't have braces and has perfect teeth.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Thank you for your oponion babylove. She is getting several new teeth in and I am worried about them getting messed up but apparently that doean't always happen. I will let her be and maybe just remind her when we are in public and to wash her hands frequently. The only somewhat down side is one of the day care kids I watch she is a 3y lil girl has started mocking my dd's sucking behavior so I try to deter her from doing so around this lil girl. Thank you all once again.
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel