Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I donate blood?

Default Can I donate blood?

Does anyone know if it's OK to donate blood? (This would be the standard 1 pint of blood.) I am EBF my 7 week-old. I always used to give blood before getting pregnant - I'm type O-negative and they always hound me to give blood.

I remember on the red cross questionaire you have to fill out each time before giving they ask if the donor has been pregnant in the past 6 weeks - and I'm past that point now.

Obviously I would have to make sure I was well hydrated....
    Hi! I'm Ann, Mama to my "big baby buffalo" , DS#1, who breastfed from August '06 to January '08
    and DS#2, my"little baby buffalo" born in May '08 and exclusively breastfeeding

Default Re: Can I donate blood?

here is LLL's view on donating blood while breastfeeding:
    Can a Lactating Woman Donate Blood?

it states the following:
    La Leche League's sources differ in their opinions on blood donation for breastfeeding mothers. Dr. Gregory White does not recommend it. Dr. Jack Newman says any otherwise eligible mother who is not anemic can donate blood. The Canadian Blood Service (a division of the Red Cross) asks breastfeeding mothers to wait six months before donating blood. LLL recommends that mothers consult their own physicians and make an informed choice.

the following statement if from kellymom.com:
    There are conflicting opinions about donating blood while breastfeeding. The US Red Cross okays blood donation for nursing moms after 6 weeks postpartum. Donating blood causes a small loss of blood volume (and therefore a loss of fluid), so there is a theoretical possibility for a short-term temporary reduction in milk supply. Moms with vulnerable supplies may want to avoid donation. In general, women who are not pregnant, have good iron levels (that will be tested before donation), are not taking antibiotics, and are at least 100 pounds are good candidates for blood donation.
    Can I continue to breastfeed if...?
    Health/Medical Issue FAQs

if you decide to donate blood, make sure to stay well-hydrated!

HTH!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I used to be a regular blood donor, but when I was trying to conceive I was advised against it because I needed the iron for myself (I'm always on the edge - fail the drop test and pass the spin test). Then when I was pregnant, same thing, and now breastfeeding same thing too. So I haven't given blood in a couple years now. They keep calling me, but I just tell them I will come back when I'm done breastfeeding and they are very understanding.
    -Alicia
    Mommy to Cadence (5/19/06) and Tessa (4/25/09)

I decided not to donate blood for now. Maybe when DS is older / also on some solids...

Thanks for the help!
    Hi! I'm Ann, Mama to my "big baby buffalo" , DS#1, who breastfed from August '06 to January '08
    and DS#2, my"little baby buffalo" born in May '08 and exclusively breastfeeding

pump for a new mom!

Thanks for doing that for me I don't think I will do it now I will probably wait until I am done breastfeeding... THANKS!!