Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Completely Touched Out

Default Completely Touched Out

This is probably more of a rant then anything but I am seriously touched out with nursing lately. It upsets me that I feel that way but I need to cut down a but. This 12-20million times a day is really wearing on me.

DD is super high needs and has been since she was born. She want's to nurse all.the.time. She can NEVER just sit on my lap or beside me and not nurse. I am in school and I don't have anyone to pass her off to at any point during the day. It's me and her from morning till night and the only break I get is school. It doesn't help that she has decided naps are not important for a 19 month old and is an absolute TERROR starting about 6pm. She often wakes up at 7am and wont fall asleep till 10:30pm and inbetween still wakes up 6-8 times to nurse. I swear some mornings I want to just throw her off of me. I just want to be able to sleep without her being attached to my boob the whole time or without someone pinching and yanking my nipples.

To top it all off she doesn't eat solids hardly at all. Ped says theres nothing wrong with her, her weight is great etc. But I really NEED her to be able to eat sometimes because otherwise I feel like I can't cut back on nursing. For example today she ate a pickle and 4 blackberries and 1 peice of bacon. Thats all for the whole day. I offer foods all the time and she just screams and shakes her head.

Ok so like I said this is more of a rant but what do I do? I don't want to wean. That's not really an option. I would like to cut down but how do I do that when she still relies on nursing so heavily not only for comfort but nutrition as well? I've tried giving her milk in a sippy cup or with a straw and she spits it out. She will sometimes drink water or juice but less then 2oz everyday. I feel like such a bad mama for being so resentful but as she's nursing right this moment twiddling like crazy, hitting me and laughing and doing gymnastics I really want to just lock her out on the balcony
    First time mom to Kalyna born December 14th 2008

Born: 7lbs 7oz
    Month 1: 8lbs
    Week 5: 8lbs 6oz
    Week 7: 9lbs 5oz
    Week 9: 10lbs 2.6oz
    Week 17: 14lbs 7oz

Nursing a 3.5 year old!
    Love , and

Default Re: Completely Touched Out

Sorry mama, no advice here, but wanted to offer you some s
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Sorry I don't have any advice either. But I really know how you feel. I feel like that especially when my hormones are acting crazy. I just don't want to be touched at all. I started trying to deter the pinching/yanking and that has helped. I just told her it hurts and keep redirecting her hand. Can you distract her from nursing sometimes? Or at least have her wait a little later?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Oh man. I don't have any experience nursing a toddler. But I would think that if you COULD cut down on the amount of sessions, that might definitely help.. There are A lot of mamas here that have night weaned. There's threads on that in the weaning section. That info might be of some help to you, if that would be an option. Congrats on making it this far!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Have you ever heard of the book The No-Cry Sleep Solution? I just got it and haven't finished it yet, but it might help you get more sleep at night. It's got a lot of good suggestions on getting your DD to sleep without nursing all night long. It's not a quick fix, but over a period of a couple weeks with their program, you should see some major changes. As for the day... I don't really know what to say. Other than you sounds a really good mom!! Still nursing at 19 months is great. We all have days when we get frustrated. You deserve a big hug and a pat on the back.
    Mom to Ellie (04/19/10)

We are a , , and family. And loving every minute of it.

Thanks ladies. I need to go out and get the no cry sleep solution and look into whether thats a good option for us.

I think the biggest problem that i've recognized is that its not just nursing its her behaviour in general and the constant nursing just aggravates that. Diaper changes are a 15 minute screaming and wrestling match, changing her clothes or giving her a bath is hell. She fights me on everything every step of the way which in turn makes me frustrated, which then makes her constant nursing an even bigger "aggravation" if that makes sense?

Thanks again
    First time mom to Kalyna born December 14th 2008

Born: 7lbs 7oz
    Month 1: 8lbs
    Week 5: 8lbs 6oz
    Week 7: 9lbs 5oz
    Week 9: 10lbs 2.6oz
    Week 17: 14lbs 7oz

Nursing a 3.5 year old!
    Love , and

This is my story right here (well my dd loves solids but sometimes she wants em and sometimes she doesn't).... She is 17 mo and seriously nurses ALL.THE.TIME.
    And recently I have been working evening shifts at work occasionally and I have had to start pumping when I get home so she can have a bottle to drink(when I am gone) before dh can even think about trying to get her to go to bed, otherwise she is up until I get home at 11:30 pm!!!! Yikes... So I dunno what to tell ya besides I know how ya feel!
    Amy~
    first time mommy, 2-15-09 to my lil bambina from then til ?, done with pumping!!

Night weaning really helped me. You can probably find a lot of night weaning threads in the weaning section. I posted one there maybe a month or so ago. It's hard, especially when they're getting into that "terrible 2" type behavior. It's ok to set limits at this age if you need to. Is there anyone who could stay with her, even for an hour or two, so that you could go out and just relax for a while? Have you tried having a "rest time", even if she won't sleep? On days when DD doesn't fall asleep nursing and resists being rocked, she has the option of going in her bed and "reading" her books. If she cries for me, she always has the choice of staying in bed by herself, or rocking with me. It works for us, and I can get a 15 minute break at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kalynasmom View Post
    Thanks ladies. I need to go out and get the no cry sleep solution and look into whether thats a good option for us.

I think the biggest problem that i've recognized is that its not just nursing its her behaviour in general and the constant nursing just aggravates that. Diaper changes are a 15 minute screaming and wrestling match, changing her clothes or giving her a bath is hell. She fights me on everything every step of the way which in turn makes me frustrated, which then makes her constant nursing an even bigger "aggravation" if that makes sense?

Thanks again
    Hooo boy, I know that feeling. My eldest fought everything tooth and nail. Asking him to be still resulted in opposite behavior. Asking him to hold my hand resulted in him running off. Diaper changes....done on the run. And I started working on getting him out of diapers early because I got sick of the whole wrestling match. Distraction...huh. It didn't work for him. My youngest is very similar. Strong willed.

And both wanted to nurse. A lot. Until I got pregnant again, and he finally weaned when I dried up.

I have experienced being touched out quite a lot. Sometimes, yes, it has been related to the amount of frustration I am experiencing in my life, both related to the child(ren) and just in general. Just too many demands from me. Sometimes it's related to hormonal issues.

When I start feeling touched out, I know it's time for a break. I leave my kid(s) with DH or a friend and go out for the day. That's not an option with a little baby, perhaps, or it takes more planning, but a 19 month old kid doesn't have to nurse all the time. And sometimes when mom is gone, they eat better. My youngest was nursing every hour all night and then at least 8-10-12 times a day. I spent hours at the computer because that was all I could do. He wouldn't eat many solids.

I did decide to cut back on nursing some because I could tell it was that or I was going to lose my mind, and he started eating better too. We still nurse but it's now mutually acceptable for both of us instead of being so one-sided.

How do you do that when you have a LO bent on nursing? Change up your routine. Go out of the house more. Have friends over. Don't sit down. Start little games. Play little distraction games with the child. I would blow raspberries on L's stomach, and he would forget to nurse for a minute. Start night weaning, which helps a lot too.

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I totally hear you mama
    my DS is 14 mos and eats sooo little solids...almost nothing.and now he's also on a part-time nursing strike,I suppose because of constant teething.
    so it's three weeks I have to coax him to the breast,and I'm tired I'd like to lock him on the balcony too,the only times I manage to nurse him he hits me and twiddles and yanks all.the .time.and I HAVE to get him to nurse or he will start to lose weight.
    have you tried to do diaper change while LO is standing up?for us it helped a bit.no other advices,sorry,but lots of
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!