Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 15 month old still nursing, ready to conceive again

Default 15 month old still nursing, ready to conceive again

Hello! I have a 15 month old that is still nursing 3 times a day. My husband and I are ready to start trying again for our 2nd child but I still haven't had my period since I got pregnant. My doctor told me it is because I am still nursing, and I wanted to get other mothers advice on what their thoughts were. It took me a year and a half to get pregnant with my first and we always wanted our kids around 2 years a part. So I wasn't sure if I should start to wean her so I could start ovulating again and if so how to go about weaning her.

Default Re: 15 month old still nursing, ready to conceive again

I'm not sure...is she nursing at night? 3 times isn't really that often. I would hate to recommend weaning to conceive in case that's not what is keeping you from ovulating. Are you taking your temp to see if you might ovulate before you even get you first period?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

How long have you been down to 3 times per day? I would be surprised if you did not start your cycle again very soon.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

she has been down to 3 nursings a day for probably 4-6 weeks or so. she nurses at usually 9pm and then not again till around 8 am. i tried taking my temp before i got pregnant with kirra and my temp was all over the place each month i tried!

so if i decide to start weaning her, what is the right way?? i dont want to ddo anything tramatic to her or anything.

When I was wanting to TTC I first night-weaned and was also nursing 4 times a day and that did the trick for me. I think if you are dead set on weaning, space the nursing sessions out as far apart as possible, then just cut one at a time, waiting few weeks before cutting another. That's pretty much how I did it. But, I am very surprised it hasn't come back yet when you are only nursing three times a day.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

There are no guarantees in this life. I knew a wonderful mother from La Leche League who weaned her toddler in order to conceive but the second baby never came and she regretted weaning her nursing baby.

it is amazing how each of our bodies are different. I had a sporadic period starting 5 weeks after DD was born throughout her 1st year. As SOON as she was 1, I have gotten it regularly each month, and she is a frequent nurser and stil wakes 2-3 times at night to nurse.

I guess I am also agreeing with PP, that you just dont know for sure that the nursing is keeping your period from returning.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK