Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weaning from the paci...

Default Re: Weaning from the paci...

My ds gave up the soother on his own after we stopped worrying about it at about 2.5. We did make a point of only giving it at naps, night and car rides though right from beginning. He was very attachet to it when he was sleeping though. Every time I activly tried to wean him off it, he was would activtly fight it and act like he wanted it more. So one day I said forget it. I would put him to bed, soother on the pillow, not in the mouth and didn't say a word about it. He evently just stopped picking it up. .
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

Buff -

Any future children of our will not be getting a paci
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    Oh, I also ordered a little security blanket that has a ring on it... it's probably too late to get her to attach to a blankie, but I have thought about attaching the bubbas to the blankie for a while, and then when bubbas goes away she can still snuggle with the blankie?
    Ooooh, great idea!!!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I've started the process of day weaning then I will nap/night wean from the pappy. He loves his pappy though but so far he's only asked for it a few times today
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

We've finished Day 4 of no paci. I'm really proud of myself that I haven't caved and given it back to her...especially in the late afternoon when she's tired/whiney. BUT, I am also extremely proud and amazed at her. She only asked for it a handful of times today. She's STTN and waking up happy, and she is started to say so much more. Still mostly unintelligible, but she's trying.

Part of me is sad because its the end of the baby stuff, but only for a time. I am sure there are going to be more little fockers running around here at some point.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    We've finished Day 4 of no paci. I'm really proud of myself that I haven't caved and given it back to her...especially in the late afternoon when she's tired/whiney. BUT, I am also extremely proud and amazed at her. She only asked for it a handful of times today. She's STTN and waking up happy, and she is started to say so much more. Still mostly unintelligible, but she's trying.

Part of me is sad because its the end of the baby stuff, but only for a time. I am sure there are going to be more little fockers running around here at some point.
    YAY! Go Joey! I did end up getting the little security blanket and attaching it to her paci with a paci string... she LOVES it! She slept with the whole setup last night. And I must have told her like 6 times "now when bubbas gets a hole and we have to throw it away, you can still snuggle with this blankie!!!" I'm going to give it a few weeks and then bubbas might "accidentally" get a hole in it. We'll see what happens.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    ...So we are still trying to figure out how to do it... we are going to try some "nice" methods first (maybe the paci fairy will come and bring a toy or something), but we may have to resort to "not so nice" methods (like soaking it in vinegar or just getting rid of it cold turkey.) ...
    This is what we did with Jaden... Jaden pacifier was "plugger". We talked a lot about the "Plugger Fairy". When I thought she was ready, she picked out a "beautiful" gift bag and packaged up her plugger. She left it on the table when she went to bed. In the morning, where she had left it, the Plugger Fairy had left her a new teddy bear, one that lights up, changing colors for some amount of time. She thought it was awesome. And besides asking about the Plugger Fairy, we've never looked back! However, she was over 3 when this happened, so she definately understood what was happening. And from about 13-14 months on, her plugger stayed in her bed and was only used for naps and bedtime.

And, even though I tried to get Avery to take one, she never has!
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

Do you think part of the reason she weaned from the breast so easily was because she had a paci to lean on?

Haylee still has her paci--we limit it to naps and nighttime and she's done with it before she even falls asleep. I sucked my fingers for such a long time and I can't bear to put her through the tears.

I took Waylon's away at 10 months, but he only used it in the car, and he really preferred the breast.

Gwyn still won't really take one and prefers to nurse to sleep, and even if I'm not the one putting her to sleep, she would rather skip the fake titty.

I'm glad things are going well for you and Joey though.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*moose View Post
    Do you think part of the reason she weaned from the breast so easily was because she had a paci to lean on?
    Probably. She only really started using the paci when she started daycare and wasn't using me as a paci all day long But she really was not a huge nurser. I felt like I kept her hanging on longer for me than her.

I think that if I'd taken away the paci FIRST...we'd still be nursing right now. BUT, what can you do? I am not up for re-lactating and she is really doing well. She's actually surprised us a lot.

I am sooooo happy that I just decided to do it. She is talking up a storm lately. I'm starting to understand more and more. The speech therapist was really happy with her progress too. SHE is happier, I think. She doesn't get so flustered with us near as much because we can understand her. Before, she'd just cry when we couldn't understand what she was asking for.

**Leslie**

Mama to:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    Probably. She only really started using the paci when she started daycare and wasn't using me as a paci all day long But she really was not a huge nurser. I felt like I kept her hanging on longer for me than her.

I think that if I'd taken away the paci FIRST...we'd still be nursing right now. BUT, what can you do? I am not up for re-lactating and she is really doing well. She's actually surprised us a lot.

I am sooooo happy that I just decided to do it. She is talking up a storm lately. I'm starting to understand more and more. The speech therapist was really happy with her progress too. SHE is happier, I think. She doesn't get so flustered with us near as much because we can understand her. Before, she'd just cry when we couldn't understand what she was asking for.
    Oh, I wasn't suggesting you should relactate--at this point I think that would be silly. I've just wondered that. As an aside, I think dd1 rarely nursed for comfort and that was because she had a pacifier--she still nursed for a very long time, though (almost 4 years) and the reason she remembered how after W was born was because of the paci, I think.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes