Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weaning from the paci...

Default Weaning from the paci...

Its hard for both of us We've been trying to cut back on it to just bedtime...but nighttime is the time where she seems to need it less. Her bottom teeth are starting to turn and she's working on a nice overbite. So...daddy and I decided to bite the bullet and take it away. This partial-weaning thing just isn't working. Sunday, we tied all her bee-bees together and let them float up to the sky as she said, "bye bye" to them. Sunday night and last night she woke up 2x crying, but I rubbed her back and she went back to sleep.

But during the day...SHE'S KILLING ME She roams around the house mourning like a cat that's looking for her lost kitten. Its pitiful. She's usually ok in the morning, but after her afternoon nap...she's really upset. I've done nothing but hold, rock, comfort, and love on her. Today was better than yesterday. Hopefully tomorrow better than today. Just in the last few days she's been talking so much more. Mostly b**ching about her paci...but hey, she's talking, right?

Tell me it gets easier..........
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Default Re: Weaning from the paci...

It gets easier, I promise! If I recall correctly, we had about a week or less of asking when I weaned him down to just having it for sleeps. And I think the same thing for nights, when I later took it away entirely. For us it was the nights that were harder, much harder, but that may have been because that was the last pacifier time left for him.

Hang in there. Just keep sympathizing with her about how sad it is. She'll be okay.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Leslie Don't shoot me, but I would not boob wean and paci wean her so close together She's been thru some big changes recently and the paci provides her comfort.

FWIW, Kate had an open bite from her paci addiction. We took her in to the dentist right after she turned 3 (which was when we gave up the paci) and she had an open bite. When we took her back 6 months later, her teeth had corrected themselves. The dentist said that was common for a child's teeth to realign at that age.

Shannon, I really did think about that. The fact that she'd just weaned. But if I'm being completely honest here...I felt like I kept her nursing for the last several months. I wasn't ready to let go, so I kept at it to keep her going. SHE had no issues with weaning. It was sweet the last time she nursed...but even then, she hadn't really asked to nurse in the last 6mos. It was all me offering and that she'd nurse. She still hasn't asked to nurse since I quit offering. She doesn't even ask to nurse when my shirt is off

I do worry about the dental issues...but it is the speech that is concerning us more. She can't talk to us if its constantly in her mouth. And it is ALWAYS in her mouth. Slobber everywhere. We did the nights only thing...and it was major freakin HYSTERICS when it was time to give it up in the morning She went to bed tonight without it just fine. I had to work in the church nursery and took Shiloh with me. Kyle said he just sat in the recliner and she fell asleep on his chest. She did ask for the bee-bee, but he just said that she could have hugs instead, that the bee-bees went bye-bye.

And the car rides are nerve-wracking. She takes her paci and throws it in the car and then SCREAMS for us to give it back. She's in the 3rd row RFing...let me tell you how easy that is to retrieve

I'm just offering her as much love, comfort, and fruit snacks as we can both stand. That, and I had a glass of wine today....though pineapple rum sounds so much better, Shannon. And no I'm not going to shoot you, puh-lease.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Snacks are a great idea. What about things that she can really munch on like sugar snap peas, carrot sticks, etc? When Daniel day-weaned from the binky he started biting his nails!! He is really oral. So offering her an alternative is a really good idea.

Hang in there. We haven't night weaned the bink from D yet, but its not an option during the day. And yea, car rides. Sometimes I wish L still had her soothie. She gave it up at about 18 months on her own, but it made car rides SO much easier!!! Would Joey accept a sippy cup in the car? Some water or something?

Good luck!!!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Lyn, we usually do water and snacks in the car. She usually dumps the snacks She's always hated the car. It makes it easier if Shiloh sits next to her...usually. Recently, she will color while in the car...until she throws all those down too

I just went in to check on her. Sleeping peacefully...until I tripped on a **** toy and it started making noise She opened her eyes and said, "bee-bee?" I told her, "no baby, bee-bee went bye bye...you want some water?" She smiled yes but was back asleep by the time I got there with her sippy I think we're going to be ok.

**Leslie**

Mama to:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    When Daniel day-weaned from the binky he started biting his nails!! He is really oral.
    Wyatt, too! It's killing me! Does Daniel still do it? So far, I'm not trying to discourage him, but I'm hoping it won't be a whole-life thing like his dad.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    I just went in to check on her. Sleeping peacefully...until I tripped on a **** toy and it started making noise She opened her eyes and said, "bee-bee?" I told her, "no baby, bee-bee went bye bye...you want some water?" She smiled yes but was back asleep by the time I got there with her sippy I think we're going to be ok.
    I'm so glad to hear that. It seems like Wyatt had that week of having a hard time, and then a couple of weeks where he wanted to talk about his pacifier, but was completely fine with it being gone. He just remembered it and wanted to make sure what had happened to it.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

She slept all night w/o waking once She did ask for it first thing this morning, but didn't melt when I told her it was all gone. Progress

**Leslie**

Mama to:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    She slept all night w/o waking once She did ask for it first thing this morning, but didn't melt when I told her it was all gone. Progress

Oh my, we are right there too. MJ is almost 3 and still takes her paci at night and naps on the weekend. She naps at daycare without it just fine but not-so-much at home.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    FWIW, Kate had an open bite from her paci addiction. We took her in to the dentist right after she turned 3 (which was when we gave up the paci) and she had an open bite. When we took her back 6 months later, her teeth had corrected themselves. The dentist said that was common for a child's teeth to realign at that age.
    MJ just had her very first dentist appt on this past Monday, and the dentist noticed her upper teeth were somewhat "flared." He asked us if she was a thumb sucker or used a paci, and I sheepishly admitted she was still using her paci at night. So DH and I are now in the process of trying to figure out how to get the "bubbas" away from her at night. On Monday for nap and bedtime DH just simply asked her if she could go to sleep without it, and she lost her mind, full on screaming fit. So we are still trying to figure out how to do it... we are going to try some "nice" methods first (maybe the paci fairy will come and bring a toy or something), but we may have to resort to "not so nice" methods (like soaking it in vinegar or just getting rid of it cold turkey.)

And because MJ is still so attached to her bubbas, that is exactly why we never even offered Mason a paci, he has never had one in his mouth... we didn't want to deal with weaning him off it at some point, or having MJ try to take it from him. I swear MJ is like a crack addict with her bubbas... she will sneak in her room during the day to get a quick suck on it.

Oh, I also ordered a little security blanket that has a ring on it... it's probably too late to get her to attach to a blankie, but I have thought about attaching the bubbas to the blankie for a while, and then when bubbas goes away she can still snuggle with the blankie? SOOOO glad I don't have to deal with this with Mason.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.